Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did anyone else have problems with Argument Part questions?

Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member

I just started learning them and they're the first type of question that has completely thrown me off... Any tips?

Comments

• keets993keets993 Alum Member 🍌
    6050 karma

Hi David,

Yes, I actually did! I found the 'descriptive' aspect of argument part and method of reasoning particularly jarring. What really helped me was taking other questions I'd covered before and turning them into argument part/method of reasoning questions. So say you take a weaken question and randomly select a statement. You would then, in your own words, write/type the role that this statement plays in the argument. Try to come up with as many variations as you can, make them as abstract as you can, employ referrential phrasing. This way you can also see how the stimulus for questions can be manipulated to fit other question types.

For example:

All jedi use the force. Luke is a jedi. Luke doesn't like to fly. Luke uses the force.

What role does the statement that Luke is a jedi play in the argument?

A) It supports the statement that luke doesn't like to fly.
    B) It supports the statement that all jedi use the force.
    C) It is an example of how jedi use the force.
    D) It supports the statement that Luke uses the force.
    E) It is supported by the statement that Luke doesn't like to fly.

This was a particularly easy example but you get the gist of it! :)

• Gunningfor121Gunningfor121 Alum Member
    517 karma

This was a particularly easy example but you get the gist of it!>

Wow! @keets993 thanks for this. I'm definitely going to start attacking them this way