Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ask a well-respected lawyer

I have a conference call scheduled with a very well-respected lawyer, who also taught at a T14 for a few years.

What questions should I ask him???

Comments

• lemmegetuhhhhlemmegetuhhhh Alum Member
    126 karma

Is it true that bird law in this country isn't governed by reason?

• ebalde1234ebalde1234 Member
    905 karma

Depends on why you’re speaking to him (admissions / Lsat type questions ) versus career / area you want to study . Those are the broad categories . Make a list of brief questions to drive the focus of the call but the call will unfold naturally.

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

@ebalde1234 said:
    Depends on why you’re speaking to him (admissions / Lsat type questions ) versus career / area you want to study . Those are the broad categories . Make a list of brief questions to drive the focus of the call but the call will unfold naturally.

Speaking to him about his career / advice, not about admissions or LSAT :)

905 karma

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:

@ebalde1234 said:

Ask about hours , challenges , rewards (external / internal ) , typical Work day . Skills needed to prep from this point onwards , any books to read / people to follow (in that specific area / Law in general) . How to keep stress in check. How to work life balance. Hope that helps let me know if you need more

905 karma

If you could post a general summary of the call here that would be great

588 karma

@ebalde1234 said:
    If you could post a general summary of the call here that would be great

Sure, will do :)

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

Ask him about 0L prep courses. I’d like to know what a professor thinks of them/knows about them.

588 karma

@Ohnoeshalpme said:
    Ask him about 0L prep courses. I’d like to know what a professor thinks of them/knows about them.

good idea!

588 karma

@ebalde1234 said:

@PearsonSpecterLittUp said:

@ebalde1234 said:

Ask about hours , challenges , rewards (external / internal ) , typical Work day . Skills needed to prep from this point onwards , any books to read / people to follow (in that specific area / Law in general) . How to keep stress in check. How to work life balance. Hope that helps let me know if you need more

Yes it does help, thank youuu!

• hawaiihihawaiihi Free Trial Member
    973 karma

If you're working before you go, ask what careers/jobs would give great experience in the field. Ask them definitely about the worse part of law. Ask them specifically about their field of law: How did you get into this field? What do you like about it? What don't you like? If they're a woman, ask them for tips on being a woman in law/her field.

588 karma

@hawaiihi said:
    If you're working before you go, ask what careers/jobs would give great experience in the field. Ask them definitely about the worse part of law. Ask them specifically about their field of law: How did you get into this field? What do you like about it? What don't you like? If they're a woman, ask them for tips on being a woman in law/her field.

These are really good questions, thank you!!

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Ask them, if they had it to do all over again, would they? And if so, what areas would they consider pursuing (the same path)? I got some interesting food for thought on this question into areas of law I had not considered.

• westher008westher008 Alum Member
    37 karma

Can you ask them if it is possible to do more than one specialization in law school?