Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In need of positive thoughts

Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
in General 151 karma

Hi all,

Last June I scored a 142 on a practice test. After reading about the LSAT for a week I scored a 148. I took the CC on here and scored a 153 on my first practice test. It has been really slow progress since then. Last month I was consistently scoring a 165-166. I am registered for the July exam and have gone back down to a 158-162 this month.

IDK if test day being so close has caused me extra anxiety or preptests 74-77are harder. I'm thinking about postponing my test to September but I'll be moving from Sacramento to Boston on September 1. That might be a lot to deal with.

I'm thinking of taking a few days off from the LSAT...

Any general advice or ideas on how to be positive? What do you all do when you're feeling this way?

Comments

• lemmegetuhhhhlemmegetuhhhh Alum Member
    126 karma

I've heard prep tests in that area are a bit different from others (this is second hand knowledge I've gleaned from the forums, don't know specifics). So you're not alone at least.
    I don't think it's anxiety, you sound like you've come a really long way and I think that should do more for your confidence than a couple of off tests.
    I always just try in have faith in my skill set. Brought me this far, and if I go down, I go down swinging. Keep the faith, do your best. A few days off probably isn't the worst thing in the world, come back with a fresh attitude and kill it.

• skiatook89-1-1skiatook89-1-1 Alum Member
    175 karma

Wow, you have come such a long way low 140's to consistently scoring in the 160's is an amazing accomplishment. While on this journey, I have found that the smallest distractions can have an impact on my ability to remain calm and fully rely on my instincts. You have put in the hours of practice, you have demonstrated that you are fully capable of scoring in the range you are hoping to consistently, so now it is about having the confidence to crush it on test day. It is hard to say if postponing is good or not as there are so many factors, however, if there is no down side to postponing I would not take that off the table with so much going on. Confidence walking in seems to really make all of the difference. Congratulations again on your progress - well done!

• ElleWoods77ElleWoods77 Alum Member
    edited July 2018 1184 karma

I have heard prep tests in the 70s do get a bit more challenging because of the slight differences . I think you may benefit from taking some days off . I have never heard anyone on this forum regret taking a week off to prevent burnout , especially they have expressed they were frustrated . Congrats on getting to the high 160s , I have no doubt with a break and some more practice you will get back there .

• Legally_SpeakingLegally_Speaking Alum Member
    553 karma

@Giselle112
    LSAT burnout is a very real phenomenon from my own experience. As others have mentioned, I would take a little time to appreciate the progress you've already made. As a rule of thumb, I generally don't take more than 3-4 days off entirely without doing at least some LSAT related studying as I've noticed the various skills (particularly LG) begin to atrophy somewhat. Personally, I always try to maintain a longer term perspective given the daily and/or weekly ups and downs of LSAT studying.

• JustDoItJustDoIt Alum Member
    3112 karma

Take time away from the test. Find something you really enjoy and do it. As others have said, it is so easy to get burnt out and anxious about this test. But often times, we forget about ourselves and our required self-care. Don't lose yourself to this test.

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    151 karma

Thank you for all of your words of encouragement, everybody! I woke up reading your comments and I feel so much better knowing I have this community. I'm having a "Treat Myself" day today and will probably just drill and go back to the basics for the next days before my test. Seriously, thank you all.

• sunkim49424-1sunkim49424-1 Alum Member
    18 karma

I just moved from Sacramento to Los Angeles doing the same thing!

First off, big applause to you for making the decision to move across the US! That shit is not easy (excuse the language lol).

I stay motivated watching Buzzfeed videos about motivation/life inspo.
    They have one about asking Lawyers and Doctors some of the most googled Qs I think.
    The folks look pretty young ( about mid-late 20s) and even though some answers aren't rainbows and butterflies, you can tell they really enjoy their careers and all the grueling hard work they put in.

It makes the goal more realistic I think because the people being filmed were once in our shoes.

In terms of how to cope with being overwhelmed, I try to do something "fun" or relaxing with a time limit. Like, I'll go to watch a movie that I've been dying to watch, either at home in another room or the theather, or go to some sort of fun event that's free.

That way my office stays as the "study/business-only room" and I keep myself from getting sucked into procrastination.

This is just what works for me because I let myself youtube surf on my tablet during school too often and it was more tempting for me procrastinate.

I hope my answer helps and your studies and moving go well!!