Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). To do more outside of this course or to not - 7Sage Forum

To do more outside of this course or to not

monp0485monp0485 Member
edited July 2018 in General 101 karma

I was talking to my friend that is taking the MCAT soon and she said that many people have told her that although she is enrolled in a course, she should do other types of studying outside of that. So, I was wondering if that is true or not of the LSAT. Should the CC be enough or do you guys recommend doing more outside of this course, and if so, what would you suggest?

Comments

• Kermit750Kermit750 Alum Member
    2124 karma

I think the CC has everything you need for the LSAT, and with the Ultimate+ you have access to a lot of resources that break down the LSAT so well you might not need outside resources. The only outside resource I've seen people suggest is The Economist, The New York Times or Scientific American for RC, but I think using actual LSAT material is more valuable as you get the opportunity to test your understanding using the questions.

• arman_65arman_65 Alum Member
    252 karma

The CC is phenomenal for mastering the fundamentals and LG. I personally recommend the LSAT trainer in addition to the CC. It really emphasizes on reading structure which is crucial for RC. The trainer also categorizes flaws in a very particular way that increases your ability to critically evaluate arguments for flaws/Assumption questions and Strength and weaken.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I think it depends on how well you are doing compared to how well you want to be doing. If you have exhausted all of 7Sage's available resources, and you're still not hitting your target score, the only thing you're risking by purchasing a book is wasting money. I also think that getting used to reading articles from published journals, Scientific American, NY Times, etc can be helpful

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

I agree with @"samantha.ashley92" If you've exhausted this first, maybe look into something else. But if you're still working with this method, don't go mixing things up. I still think that mixing things up with Khan Academy before my first test was a huge mistake. But, I promised to beta test, so I did it. Wont be doing that again.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

@AudaciousRed what's Khan Academy like? I saw it on LSAC's website.

• monp0485monp0485 Member
    101 karma

I've only completed 38% of the course, so definitely haven't exhausted 7sage's resources yet. I'll take yalls advice though and just stick with using this! Also, thank you for the recommendation of reading the NY Times and Scientific American for RC. I'll start doing that since RC is my weakest section.

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    151 karma

@arman_65 said:
    The CC is phenomenal for mastering the fundamentals and LG. I personally recommend the LSAT trainer in addition to the CC. It really emphasizes on reading structure which is crucial for RC. The trainer also categorizes flaws in a very particular way that increases your ability to critically evaluate arguments for flaws/Assumption questions and Strength and weaken.

Totally agree with this comment! I was stuck at a 153 for a while until I went through the flaw lessons in the trainer. The next time I took a PT, I jumped to 163! Identifying and understanding flaws is huge.

• edited July 2018 1025 karma

@Giselle112 @arman_65 I might give this a try! How well did it help with RC?

I think the 7sage course is fantastic. Other then doing PTs/drills to apply and perfect what you have learned in the CC, I think the course is really all that is necessary. Just make sure to drill flashcards on important information----it's worth every second spent. If you're only 38% off the way through, there is probably another 150+ more hours to learn from, exciting!! :D
    You are on the right track.

However, I did read the Bible Trilogy after I finished the CC. I thought it was by no means even a quarter as comprehensive as the 7sage CC. I only pulled out tips here and there from the books as most of the points hit were covered in the CC, but it was a good refresher starting up again for a retake.

• arman_65arman_65 Alum Member
    252 karma

@TheDeterminedC said:
    @Giselle112 @arman_65 I might give this a try! How well did it help with RC?

I think the 7sage course is fantastic. Other then doing PTs/drills to apply and perfect what you have learned in the CC, I think the course is really all that is necessary. Just make sure to drill flashcards on important information----it's worth every second spent. If you're only 38% off the way through, there is probably another 150+ more hours to learn from, exciting!! :D
    You are on the right track.

However, I did read the Bible Trilogy after I finished the CC. I thought it was by no means even a quarter as comprehensive as the 7sage CC. I only pulled out tips here and there from the books as most of the points hit were covered in the CC, but it was a good refresher starting up again for a retake.

The trainer was tremendous help with RC! Mike Kim, the author of the LSAT trainer emphasizes on reading structure. it helped me understand how to approach RC: examining the passage and understanding why the author is writing the passage rather than trying to comprehend the specifics of what the author is saying. in my experience, it's made me more confident approaching RC and helped me bring down my -10 avg per section to around -4.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

I only used 7sage for fool-proofing LG with the free LG explanation videos and prepped with some external prepbooks which were great for getting my fundamentals down. I imagine that just using CC is enough for getting the same results on drilling fundamentals based on all the positive reviews here. After that, the most useful training you can do is BR'ing your preptests which isn't dependent on 7sage or outside reading.

@"samantha.ashley92" I was one of the beta testers for Khan Academy but I only started using it very late in my prep. My impression was that if someone absolutely does not have access to any LSAT material then it's a good resource. However, I found that Khan Academy uses question banks from more recent preptests which would spoil some of your fresh PTs. If you already have your fundamentals down from CC or elsewhere, then you'll probably find that Khan Academy isn't a wise use of your time.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" Khan Academy just seemed really basic. They had some video lessons, but not anything like 7sage's lessons. Also, they were not nearly as entertaining. I tried a couple, and found myself immediately bored with the speaker's tone and pace. No humor. No personality. It'd be fine if you had nothing else, I guess. It was really a let down. I also didn't like how you couldn't keep reviewing areas until you testing sections or a full test after a while. This was done all online, and not on paper, which was weird feeling. There was no printing anything out.
    I used Khan Academy to buff up on math a few years ago, and highly recommend it to anyone -- for math.

• monp0485monp0485 Member
    101 karma

@arman_65 Did you incorporate the Trainer after you were done with the CC?