Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hard Misc Games

hclelandhcleland Member
in Logic Games 18 karma

Hi, I am having trouble with every miscellaneous game (not I/O, Seq, Grp, Hybrid) I encounter on the most recent PTs. Does anyone have any good advice for approaching these? I am worried about getting one on the Sept. test in less than two weeks, because they suck up so much time and I usually don't get them right until I think about them later without the time pressure.

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think the trick to them is really just being so solid on your fundamentals that you can figure out how to improvise. Since they're all different, there's not really any one helpful hint for it.

My biggest hint for taking in September is to keep your cool. A weird trick that helped me on my first LSAT was to visualize your worst case scenario. Imagine that your first game on the first section of the LSAT is a miscellaneous game - your worst fear! Imagine feeling how it would feel to have to stare that down right away, and having to keep your cool for the rest of the test. Kind of get the jitters out of the way now. I did this and pictured my worst case (I hate RC - I visualized having 2 RC sections, and having it be the first section of the test). Lo and behold, on test day, I opened my booklet and for section 1 saw RC. I actually laughed out loud (quietly haha) when I saw it. That alone helped me get over the nerves and just dive in.

And for another thing to try for the Sept test, whenever you get to the LG section, if you come across a miscellaneous game that you think is going to stump you - skip it. Right away. Save it for last. There's usually only 1 per section, so you might as well work on the others first in order to maximize your score. You wouldn't want to waste all your time on 1 game that throws you off and end up not having time to do the others. So work on other games first, then come back to the miscellaneous one. Work through it as if you have all the time in the world, and just answer the questions that you can. If you run out of time, make sure to get your guesses in. When the 5 minute mark is called, I like to quickly fill in guesses, then erase and change as I go if I have time to work them out before the end of the section. But at least get some guesses in, educated guesses if you can (eliminate 1 or more wrong answers). And then learn how to shake it off and move on.

• hclelandhcleland Member
    18 karma

Thank you!

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

To quote JY, "When in doubt, make a chart". Otherwise, just brute force your way through each answer choice.

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I will add that at the end of the day, even Misc games come back to Lawgic fundamentals. A circular game is just a sequencing game that never ends. The Virus game was a sequencing game that had a mapping element. PT 77 had a Misc game that was in a grouping vein. The LSAT writers only have so many tricks up their sleeves so even their hard games had bits and pieces that are similar to their more standard games.