Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A new RC strategy I am using

BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
edited August 2018 in Reading Comprehension 1694 karma

The active reading strategies preached by @TheoryandPractice are really good for anyone who is looking for that.

This is something much more specific. I am currently finding that Hardest Law passages are ones that I consistently have at least -1 in. So I decided to read and do every single one available in PTs. I found that my understanding of law in general has improved greatly, and my speed has gone from on average 12minutes down to about 10minutes per passage. It also helps just to get familiar with concept, such as common law vs civil or constitutional law, or how common law is made or changed, and develop a LSAC definition on terms, such as abjure, adduse, injunction, enact, balance, or semantic. I realized I got a handful of questions wrong simply because of my colloquial use of or lack of use of some of these words gave me misinterpretations.

This strategy, I think, is probably only effective for law, since it is more specialized and the ideas and terms can be learned fairly easily, whereas for art/history passages, the breadth is too wide for specific weakness practice to have much of an effect.

I wonder if anyone else uses this strategy, or has any feedback, and hope that someone can benefit from this.

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I would really suggest going over and looking at where you can skip questions. If you are taking 10 minutes per passage, then there are minutes here that you can shave off. Take a video of your doing a section and see where the time goes. Are you spending three minutes on question 5 (a really hard question put early to trap you?) How often are you going back to the passage? I think having background knowledge of the passage is beneficial but the time needed to learn everything could be better spent other places. A video would kind of let you break down the film and see where you can improve and really put your study time!

• BroccoliBroccoli Core Member
    352 karma

Where can we find this active reading strategies

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    I would really suggest going over and looking at where you can skip questions. If you are taking 10 minutes per passage, then there are minutes here that you can shave off. Take a video of your doing a section and see where the time goes. Are you spending three minutes on question 5 (a really hard question put early to trap you?) How often are you going back to the passage? I think having background knowledge of the passage is beneficial but the time needed to learn everything could be better spent other places. A video would kind of let you break down the film and see where you can improve and really put your study time!

Yeah, I've done that. And it seems like I am referring back to the passage for almost every inference question, because the answer choices are so tricky and have such minute differences. I actively force myself to not look back and just skip if I don't know, but I still spend up to a minute by slowly eliminating and reading the left over answers twice, which I allow. I allow myself 10 minutes for the harder passages, since the easier passages, I can usually do in about 7-8 minutes. The timing breaks down to about 5 minutes for the passage, and 5 minutes for questions.

What are your recommendations for second round review for RC? Do you reread any passages? I usually don't reread any passages, but give myself more time to refer back to passages for harder questions.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@Broccoli180 said:
    Where can we find this active reading strategies

If you click on this link: @TheoryandPractice , then it will take you to his profile, and then go to his discussions and see if any of his posts can help you. The one I like a lot, but had difficulties putting into practice, and eventually adopted into my own reading is this: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/10749/my-rc-strategy-that-got-me-to-0

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

For the second round it honestly depends on the question I circled. If it an according to the author question I will try to hunt and confirm. Otherwise it depends on how much time I finished the section with. I'll try to start with questions that have line cites as that allows me to hone in on a specific part of the passage, saving time.