Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Caffeine pills test day

tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
in General 770 karma

I read from some posts here ibuprofen/Advil/Tylenol is okay to bring on test day. This may be a dumb question, but are caffeine pills in a small medicine bottle allowed or not?

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I would guess so? I don't know anything about caffeine pills. As long as they are legal, over the counter med or you have a prescription. Don't bring anything like ritalin that isn't prescribed to you.

8392 karma

And not going to lie, there aren't a ton of people here old enough to know this reference, but I couldn't help but picture this:

https://media.giphy.com/media/l0Iy6RfxFjVqP8NQQ/giphy.gif

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Agree with all of the above. Make sure that if you're taking caffeine pills though that you aren't doing it for the first time on test day and you aren't breaking from your normal habits.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 770 karma

@"Leah M B" what show is that?

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Just make sure your PT with them at least twice with the same meal/break snack timing.

770 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" said:
    Just make sure your PT with them at least twice with the same meal/break snack timing.

Okay, sounds good. Actually I don't even know if I should even take them. Caffeine literally does nothing for me anymore, haha.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

Omg I know how you feel lol

8392 karma

@tekken1225 Haha it's Saved by the Bell. Jessie gets hooked on caffeine pills in that episode... it's a classic. Now, back to my rocking chair...

https://media.giphy.com/media/DVytj5DEc7Uqc/giphy.gif

770 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    @tekken1225 Haha it's Saved by the Bell. Jessie gets hooked on caffeine pills in that episode... it's a classic. Now, back to my rocking chair...

Oh man, as a guy past 30, I feel like I should know the show, hahaha.

• BamboosproutBamboosprout Alum Member
    1694 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

https://media.giphy.com/media/DVytj5DEc7Uqc/giphy.gif

Nice memes, grandma =)

To be on topic, I can share with you my experience with caffeine pills. For my first actual test, I was told to practice with caffeine pills to get use to them. In combination with my anxiety for the test, however, this completely destroyed my sleep schedule, and on the day of, the caffeine pill made my already nervous hands literally jittery and heart beats audible. Thinking back on it, I should have understood that caffeine's effect on humans is not black and white. It's not just on and off. It's a gradient that can be shifted by external factors, like stress, nerves, and adrenaline. The human body, although it can get use to it's effects neurologically, can never learn to process them faster. On average, it takes about 12 hours to reduce half of any significant amount of caffeine in your body, no matter how immune to the effects you are. So what I'm trying to say is, for me, while I normally drink a lot of coffee and tea, and caffeine has no effect on me, because of my extra nerves, the coffee affected me in ways that never affected me before, and it was pretty terrible. Even trying to reduce my intake on the friday before the test did not really make any difference. My honestly recommendation would be to eliminate as many inconsistent factors as possible for the test, caffeine pills being one of them.

For my next tests, I eliminated caffeine intake all together the week of the test, and only made some green tea for the day of the test. It takes about 30 minutes for caffeine to be absorbed into the blood stream, so I drank a mouthful while lining up to get in, and another mouthful at the start of the break, and that felt pretty good.

Disclaimer: I cut my caffeine pills into quarters, so each serving was only 50ml of caffeine. Not much at all, but it completely wrecked me, because of the stress factors.

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    And not going to lie, there aren't a ton of people here old enough to know this reference, but I couldn't help but picture this:

edited September 2018 770 karma

@Bamboosprout

For me, personally, now that I think about this, I think I may need to undergo caffeine detox. No caffeine for a couple weeks at least.
    My tolerance has gone up so much for caffeine over the course of years as a student, that it really does nothing for me anymore. I can literally fall asleep 15 minutes after drinking 2 cans of Red Bull. It's kinda sad, really.

8392 karma

@10000019 lol. Oh, Family Guy. <3

1694 karma

@10000019 said:

@"Leah M B" said:

lol. I can't help but cringe a little while I chuckle.

1694 karma

@tekken1225 said:
    @Bamboosprout

For me, personally, now that I think about this, I think I may need to undergo caffeine detox. No caffeine for a couple weeks at least.
    My tolerance has gone up so much for caffeine over the course of years as a student, that it really does nothing for me anymore. I can literally fall asleep 15 minutes after drinking 2 cans of Red Bull. It's kinda sad, really.

A caffeine detox might be good for you. Who knows? Try it and find out. I love my caffeine still, but it's good to know that I don't need it, can easily control my intake, and have a good idea of how it affects me.
    Hahahaha. Here's how an lsat student would resolve this contradiction. Remember how I said it takes at least 30 minutes for caffeine to normally get into your bloodstream and affect you? This is why coffee naps are such an effective tool. Most people actually get more sleepy 5-15 minutes after drinking a sugary caffeinated beverage.

• ajstephens93ajstephens93 Alum Member
    edited September 2018 116 karma

@LeahMB

OMG the caffeine pills episode! You just made my day.