Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Work is my only extra-curricular on my applications

I have been a full time university student and worked full time as an office admin and sales rep so I have never had the time to participate in other EC's such as clubs or student councils. I have had extenuating family circumstances because i have an autistic brother whom I have had to dedicate a lot of time to and so that was another reason why i found little time to get involved in school with any other ec's. I am wondering will the lack of EC's have a negative effect on my applications (specifically Canadian law schools) or if working full time and having this family circumstance will make up for it? The reason I ask is if it is going to really have a bad look then I could possibly squeeze in some volunteering or join some clubs in the next month even though I really don't have much time left. If it is not going to be that big of a deal then I will just leave it. Thanks for the advice in advance guys!!!

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I don't think it will be a big deal for most schools, especially given your circumstances. I would ask someone who has more experience with this like @"David.Busis".

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7317 karma

Don't worry about it! Working full-time and and helping to care for an autistic brother is just as legitimate as, you know, doing moot court. Your work will go on your résumé, but you might want to highlight that you were working during the school year with an extra bullet in the education section. E.g., "Dean's list every semester while working full-time" or whatever.

I'd mention your family responsibilities somewhere on the application—either in a DS, a short addendum, or a "Personal" section of your résumé.

Thanks @"samantha.ashley92"

• SleepyslothSleepysloth Member
    61 karma

thank you both! this eased my mind quite a bit! :)

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I'm basically in the same situation with work being my only "extra-curricular". Technically, I was part of a club, but I was pretty inactive in it. Because of my job, I have 4 years of management experience, which is great in a different way. I have to think it matters more than joining a club.

• mew41195mew41195 Alum Member
    159 karma

A. Agreed with @"David.Busis" (obviously) -- and partially because if a school doesn't view your achievements as legitimate and therefore isn't interested in you as a candidate because you don't have student org experience, that school probably isn't a fit for you anyway, and they're self-selecting out. Good riddance!

B. I think it would almost look worse to force it. I would see a month of volunteering as you volunteering for this exact reason -- a resume builder. You're better off polishing off what you have. :smile: