Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fee Waivers

Comments

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@akistotle ah sorry for the confusion. that link doesn't work for me either.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Northwestern hasn’t updated their website to be relevant for the next cycle to my knowledge. So I’m guessing it has something to do with that. It’ll probably work in a couple weeks, or when their app opens.

8392 karma

Oh and thanks for starting the doc @NotMyName! On my phone but I’ll check it out in a bit.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    edited September 2018 9377 karma

Thanks @NotMyName @"surfy surf" @"Leah M B"!

It's weird because Northwestern's app (for the class entering in 2019) is now available on LSAC. It opened today. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday or just pay $75 now.... :sweat:

8392 karma

@akistotle said:
    Thanks @NotMyName @"surfy surf" @"Leah M B"!

It's weird because Northwestern's app (for the class entering in 2019) is now available on LSAC. It opened today. I guess we'll have to wait until Monday or just pay $75 now.... :sweat:

I’m guessing they’ll still do the waivers, maybe will just take a bit. Didn’t realize they opened already. Also just saw the devastating news that NU ED is now $120k scholarship. Live look at me and my application strategy:

https://media1.giphy.com/media/vysUmffUa9o4g/giphy.gif

5320 karma

@"Leah M B"

I’m guessing they’ll still do the waivers, maybe will just take a bit. Didn’t realize they opened already. Also just saw the devastating news that NU ED is now $120k scholarship. Live look at me and my application strategy:

LOL! I hear you. NYU's LRAP has me at an impasse for whether or not to apply ED... it's so damn generous.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@"Leah M B" if you're a California resident I think ED Berkeley is worth more in terms of net cost due to the lower tuition.

8392 karma

@eRetaker said:
    @"Leah M B" if you're a California resident I think ED Berkeley is worth more in terms of net cost due to the lower tuition

Unfortunately not. Out of staters can get in state tuition for years 2 and 3, but that’s still more debt than I’d like to take on. Plan on applying for the BLOS though! Always nice that it’s non-binding. I personally wouldn’t do ED anywhere that’s not full tuition or close to it. $150k to NU would’ve been ok with me but the $120k is just too low to commit to it. :(

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

@NotMyName do you mind sharing what you said in your email to schools? Congrats on the success rate!

5320 karma

@kimw2015 I modified this template and included a little about my financial situation. Thanks!

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @kimw2015 I modified this template and included a little about my financial situation. Thanks!

Sorry, which template?

edited September 2018 5320 karma
  • caseyw16caseyw16 Free Trial Member
    7 karma

@NotMyName thanks for sharing that link! Also LOL that LSAC reports used to be $16...if only...

9377 karma

@caseyw16 said:
    @NotMyName thanks for sharing that link! Also LOL that LSAC reports used to be $16...if only...

I know....Now it's $45! :cry: :astonished: :weary:

9377 karma

@NotMyName @"surfy surf" @"Leah M B"

Northwestern's JD Fee Waiver Request page was just updated:
    http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@akistotle Thanks for the update!

• rebecca.liujingrebecca.liujing Alum Member
    334 karma

Northwestern has fixed the request site. It's working now.

5320 karma

Texas sent out a wave of merit and residency waivers today.

8392 karma

@NotMyName said:

Not sure if you're in Texas, but I got the "Hello from a fellow Texan!" email, which is funny because I am definitely not from Texas. I thought maybe it was just about possibly receiving in-state tuition or something, but seemed very much just to be targeted toward people who live in Texas, which I do not. Kinda funny. Wonder if they really meant to send that to everyone?

8392 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@NotMyName said:

Not sure if you're in Texas, but I got the "Hello from a fellow Texan!" email, which is funny because I am definitely not from Texas. I thought maybe it was just about possibly receiving in-state tuition or something, but seemed very much just to be targeted toward people who live in Texas, which I do not. Kinda funny. Wonder if they really meant to send that to everyone?

WHOOPS, quoting myself because I did just see their second email with a merit-based waiver, and said apologies for the resident email. Haha.

5320 karma

@"Leah M B"

LOL! I got the same. Along with this follow up...

"Please disregard the previous email you received about receiving a Texas Resident fee waiver. You have received a merit-based fee waiver to apply to Texas Law.

Apologies for any confusion."

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@"Leah M B" That also just happened to me lol @NotMyName Also Northwestern just approved my fee waiver request. Apparently this year you have to apply

5320 karma

@sx23 ah ok good to know. I just requested mine.

2043 karma

@NotMyName Just got the fee waiver from NU approved after submitting in the morning. Thanks for the heads-up!

• mew41195mew41195 Alum Member
    159 karma

@"surfy surf" said:
    @akistotle I got the same error

@NotMyName

haven't gotten through all the comments but Northwestern's was fixed when I went on today!

159 karma

GULC did a CAS fee waiver batch the other day.

Also, haven't seen this mentioned, but I received a waiver from UVA.

5320 karma

@mew41195 did you receive a waiver from GULC during that round? If so, would you mind sharing your numbers? I was bummed to be denied a waiver from them.

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

Got an email to apply to gulc, but no fee waiver. Wtf. Is that a bad sign?

2043 karma

@Nov2018Taker nah from what I've seen online, it's been pretty random who GULC gave fee waivers to in terms of stats.

5320 karma

@Nov2018Taker

Got an email to apply to gulc, but no fee waiver. Wtf. Is that a bad sign?

Nah. Not worth reading into in the least except for the fact that we're going to have to dish out the $$

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

@eRetaker @NotMyName Thanks for the feedback

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker @NotMyName Just found out apparently I had a fee waiver from Berkeley on LSAC, no emails. I guess I'm gonna recommend checking your boxes every once in a while for easter eggs then:) I know Berkeley said to you they don't grant merit fee waivers so I guess I got one because of STEM? Also I think people do still get waivers from Columbia. Maybe they aren't merit-based?

2043 karma

@sx23 said:
    @eRetaker @NotMyName Just found out apparently I had a fee waiver from Berkeley on LSAC, no emails. I guess I'm gonna recommend checking your boxes every once in a while for easter eggs then:) I know Berkeley said to you they don't grant merit fee waivers so I guess I got one because of STEM? Also I think people do still get waivers from Columbia. Maybe they aren't merit-based?

Thanks for update on Berkeley! I was planning on emailing for a need-based fee waiver from them if I didn't get a merit one. I saw some people online get Columbia hidden waivers as well but they were all below Columbia's medians. So I can't really figure out the pattern here lol

Also found a profile from another applicant last year who listed out their fee waiver dates.
    http://lawschoolnumbers.com/b-a-n-a-n-a-s

5320 karma

@eRetaker @sx23 Thanks ya'll. I updated the spreadsheet.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName Have you heard from NYU by any chance?

edited September 2018 5320 karma

@sx23

Have you heard from NYU by any chance?

I have not and I don't have a shadow waiver from them either.

Edit: Don't remember if I shared this already. Should have checked my email before replying... they said they don't provide solicited waivers.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName I see, thanks a lot!

8392 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @mew41195 did you receive a waiver from GULC during that round? If so, would you mind sharing your numbers? I was bummed to be denied a waiver from them.

I got a GULC waiver in the email wave fyi. 3.8X / 168. Really odd you didn't get one... your LSAT crushes mine hah. Maybe they are looking to raise GPA numbers this year?

Really bummed that my unsolicited waivers have been pretty spotty. Since I'm a re-applicant, I don't know if schools actually have gotten my info and that I'm applying for this year or what. I've received a few, but didn't get UCLA (and I was admitted last year) or Michigan (WL last year). I think I'm going to have to reach out for more this year. I've heard CRS is a mixed bag for a second cycle, and that's what my experience is so far.

159 karma

@"Leah M B" said:

@NotMyName said:

I got a GULC waiver in the email wave fyi. 3.8X / 168. Really odd you didn't get one... your LSAT crushes mine hah. Maybe they are looking to raise GPA numbers this year?

Really bummed that my unsolicited waivers have been pretty spotty. Since I'm a re-applicant, I don't know if schools actually have gotten my info and that I'm applying for this year or what. I've received a few, but didn't get UCLA (and I was admitted last year) or Michigan (WL last year). I think I'm going to have to reach out for more this year. I've heard CRS is a mixed bag for a second cycle, and that's what my experience is so far.

Essentially the same as @"Leah M B" , so also surprised you didn't get one!

• Has any heard from/received a hidden waiver from NYU?

• PearsonSpecterLittUpPearsonSpecterLittUp Alum Member
    588 karma

So based on my score from last year I got a fee waiver to schools like UVA, but when I went to apply this year it disappeared entirely???

• @PearsonSpecterLittUp said:
    So based on my score from last year I got a fee waiver to schools like UVA, but when I went to apply this year it disappeared entirely???

They reset every cycle. If you received any for the 2017-2018 application season, they’re now expired.

2043 karma

Just wanted to let people know that I originally saw my Berkeley app as waived on LSAC (no email) but when I checked again today the $75 appeared again. So I guess I got unwaived? Anyone else notice the same issue?

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker The exact same thing happened to me yesterday:) Decided that I'm not gonna stress about it because I wasn't gonna apply anyway but not that you mentioned it

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

I didn't get a GULC waiver or a Berkeley waiver. Not applying to either but you aren't alone!

2043 karma

@sx23 @ChaimtheGreat Thanks for the confirmation, I thought it was a little weird. Still nothing from NYU, Penn, Columbia, and Chicago as well.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker Same; do they used to send out early waivers?

2043 karma

@sx23 I was looking through LSN and last year people received Penn, Chicago, and NYU as soon as 9/7, but not sure about Columbia. However, some other forums confirmed Columbia waivers in LSAC page last week despite them all being below both medians? It's kind of random at this point it seems and I definitely won't be looking forward to paying all those CAS report fees lol

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker Lol okay didn't Columbia also say they would not give out merit based waivers? I hope they are just messed up by the storm:)

2043 karma

@sx23 Yeah I'm starting to think it might have an error for that Berkeley waiver as well and they decided to correct that mistake since they also claim to not give merit waivers.