Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fee Waivers

NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage

Hi everyone. Just sharing my positive experience so far in case any of you find it helpful.

I received an unsolicited fee waiver from UCLA on 8/20, but with the new cycle approaching and considering that I am planning to apply to a whopping 21 schools, I decided to send out requests to each of the schools this morning.

Michigan and WUSTL promptly granted me fee waivers.

I'm interpreting Yale's response as "Yes you can have one but we have to wait until our applications open in October."

The remainder of the schools have either not responded yet, responded that they don't grant merit based, that they don't grant solicited waivers, or directed me to a formal application process. Almost all schools that did not grant me a fee waiver suggested I apply for need-based.

Comments

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

That's great! How did you choose to reach out to them?

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"samantha.ashley92" Not sure whether you mean how I chose the schools or why I decided to reach out so I'll just answer both : )

I only reached out to my school. Built my school list based on numbers and area of employment.

I reached out because most applications will open in a week, 21 schools will cost nearly $2k if I have to pay for all of them, I only make $30k/year, I have an lsat above every schools median so I think I think I have a reasonable chance to begin with, and it seemed like a low-hanging-fruit strategy to cut down on costs (no harm done, v little work required). I'll probably apply for need-based for any schools that don't provide me merit-based but filling forms take time so if I can get some quick and easy waivers this way, I'm all about it.

5320 karma

Update: UVA, ND, and BC all granted today too. If these schools are on your list, it's not too early to ask.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

Hearing this has inspired me to reach out to schools. Clearly there’s no harm in asking. However, I’m not taking the LSAT until November. Should I wait until then or would it be ok to ask now?

5320 karma

@Emily2122 Oh good! Just make sure you check their website first.. if they give clear instructions for fee waivers, be sure to follow them.

Unless you are requesting need-based waivers, I don't think it makes sense yet. Although, many schools seem to have formal processes for need-based waivers so check that first.

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

Hey @NotMyName,

If you don't mind, can you give me a list of schools that said they don't grant merit-based fee waivers?

edited August 2018 5320 karma

@akistotle Columbia, Berkeley, and Harvard.

*edit

9372 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @akistotle Columbia and Harvard.

Thanks!

5320 karma

Update: Georgetown denied me. Which is a bummer.

9372 karma

@NotMyName said:
    Update: Georgetown denied me. Which is a bummer.

Bummer. But it doesn’t mean anything though! (People denied fee waivers get accepted with $$$)

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    edited August 2018 2038 karma

Duke gave me a fee waiver (seen on LSAC application page) but did not send an email to me about it.
    Other unsolicited fee waivers: UCLA, Notre Dame, Michigan, WUSTL, Vanderbilt, Emory
    Apparently Georgetown sent out fee waivers as well to some people
    @akistotle @NotMyName

• Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

Hey guys so after attending the LSAT forum I realized that a lot of schools have automatically waived their application fees(GW ,USC ) and some will give you a waiver if you attend a webinar or info session. Also if you are TFA/Americorps /City Year Alum email them a lot of them will grant you a waiver based solely on that (Berkeley) not to tkill the mood but LSAC also has an additional fee to consider: they charge $45 for every CAS report you send to schools you apply to .I was going to apply to about 15 but just applying to 10 is going to be an additional $450

5320 karma

@akistotle Totally. Maybe I can still snag one by attending a GULC event.

@eRetaker Thanks for the info. I received one of those UCLA unsoliciteds.. whoop whoop. How do I get to the page on lsac.org you describe seeing a fee waiver from Duke? I looked but couldn't find anything... maybe I just didn't receive one. And thanks for the extra info.

@"Mia Fairweather" The LSAC fee is aggravating. They really nickel and dime us. I'm going to be working overtime just to fund my applications even if I receive fee waivers from every school on my list.

2038 karma

@NotMyName You have to start the 2019 Duke application to see it and it will display as "waived" if you got the fee waiver.

5320 karma

@eRetaker ah thanks. yep... no waiver lol

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

So apparently Michigan and Duke both waived my application fee but neither of them sent me an email about it:) you might wanna check Michigan as well @NotMyName

5320 karma

@sx23 that’s good to know. I’m half hoping find a few unsolicited waivers once I go to apply. Luckily, Michigan granted me a waiver when I asked them directly.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName good for you!

• 534 karma

Waived from Duke, not from Michigan. Can they see if they're added to your school list? Because Michigan wasn't on my LSAC list until 5 minutes ago.

edited August 2018 5320 karma

@retaker2014 @sx23 duke just sent me one too. There’s no way to know whether it was coming regardless of my prior email to them or not, though.

@"Michaela.Pratt1" hm I don’t know if they can see that or not. I believe the only info lsat shares is via the CAS process... I could be completely wrong though. Michigan responded promptly to me w a waiver when I emailed them directly though so you may consider that route.

2038 karma

Update: Just received Duke Priority Track email

5320 karma

@eRetaker

Update: Just received Duke Priority Track email

Nice! me too. It's a great program... non-binding. Congrats!

• Kyle....Kyle.... Alum Member
    134 karma

How do you view what schools have granted you a fee waiver on the LSAC website? Also, what is the best day to directly reach out to a school to request a fee waiver?

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker @NotMyName Just got Duke PT too. Care to share your stats? I'm trying to figure out what this means. Mine are 3.98/173, also duke undergrad

• dlr60657dlr60657 Alum Member
    41 karma

Does anyone have data on whether these fee waivers are any indication on chances of acceptance? I assume these schools just want to boost their application numbers to seem more competitive and there’s no affect.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

Seems like somebody said they sent out 2000 and 1000 ended up applying.

2038 karma

@sx23 Apparently some people are mentioning a soft GPA cutoff at 3.5 for PT invite. Stats are 3.7+/178.
    @NotMyName here's hoping we get in!

5320 karma

@"Kyle...."

How do you view what schools have granted you a fee waiver on the LSAC website? Also, what is the best day to directly reach out to a school to request a fee waiver?

It becomes visible when you start an application for a school. You don't actually have to apply; you can just run through a few screens to see if you have a waiver. There is a page with basic info including application fees and that's where it is. I would check the school's website and info on waivers before reaching out to that school but in general, I don't believe there is a day of the week that's better than another. We are close enough to the cycle now that it's worth a shot, or you could wait until a given school's cycle actually begins.

@sx23

Just got Duke PT too. Care to share your stats? I'm trying to figure out what this means. Mine are 3.98/173, also duke undergrad

I envy your gpa. I'm 3.51/174. I think this means more than a typical waiver since they are literally prioritizing the PT above all other applications.

@dlr60657

Does anyone have data on whether these fee waivers are any indication on chances of acceptance? I assume these schools just want to boost their application numbers to seem more competitive and there’s no affect.

No data to my knowledge but in most cases I don't think it's worthwhile to read too much into it. The duke priority track and similar programs at other schools do seem to suggest to me that these schools actually want to consider us for acceptance. However, when it's simply a naked waiver, it could be yield protection.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker Thanks! That's a great LSAT btw!

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName Thank! Hope we all get in haha

2038 karma

@sx23 thanks, but I would rather have your GPA/LSAT combo though lol

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

Just got PT myself. Did not have a hidden waiver before hand.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@sx23 said:
    @eRetaker @NotMyName Just got Duke PT too. Care to share your stats? I'm trying to figure out what this means. Mine are 3.98/173, also duke undergrad

Do any of you know if you end up in the regular decision pool if you’re rejected priority track (like they do for ED)? Or is PT your only chance? I’m wondering if it’s actually more competitive PT and not a good idea for people with median stats to apply PT

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@"surfy surf" I think you can potentially get deferred to regular pool. Not sure whether it will be more competitive though though I'm inclined to say no given according to myLSN like over 80% of PT are accepted or something like. I would make sure to write a why Duke.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker haha man I envy your LSAT. We all want things we don't have : )

• Giselle112Giselle112 Alum Member
    151 karma

Does anybody know if Boston College offers a fee waiver? I did TFA and I noticed a lot of schools waive the fee for these years of service but I can't find anything on BCs website.

5320 karma

@Giselle112 BC extended a waiver to me this week when I emailed them directly with my numbers and brief financial situation. So they definitely offer waivers. If you've looked on their website, no harm in shooting them a brief email asking for info.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName have you gotten a response from northwestern?

2038 karma

UVA sent out fee waivers via email just now.

5320 karma

@sx23 no but I feel dumb for sending them an email. They clearly say on their website that they waive the fee for any application received between 9/1 and 12/1 http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/faq/faqjd.html

@eRetaker Yup!

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName Hmmm interesting, thanks! Didn't get one from UVA though:(

2038 karma

@NotMyName oh wow thanks for the great catch on Northwestern, did not know that lol

5320 karma

@sx23 You might consider requesting one. They gave me one directly when I did so last week.

5320 karma

Vandy just sent out a batch.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Seems like something that would be good for us to have a spreadsheet/list of. I could start a google doc later, unless someone else wants to jump in.

5320 karma

I like that idea. Fee waivers is a cloudy aspect of applications. I’m in the airport without a computer. Happy to build one later or contribute to any that’s built before I can.

9372 karma

Northwestern
    I get "503 Error This page is inactive" after I click the "JD Fee Waiver Application" button: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/

Is it just me or does everyone get the same error?

edited September 2018 5320 karma

@akistotle

Northwestern
    I get "503 Error This page is inactive" after I click the "JD Fee Waiver > Application" button: http://www.law.northwestern.edu/admissions/applying/

Is it just me or does everyone get the same error?

It doesn't work for me.

edited September 2018 5320 karma

@"Leah M B"

Seems like something that would be good for us to have a spreadsheet/list of. I could start a google doc later, unless someone else wants to jump in.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14CBJQgFgCJRi04udQTFzXS9Z4X2qBPe9OA5pyC4gEl4/edit#gid=0

Definitely not complete. I filled out the info I had handy. If anyone would like permissions to edit just PM me your email.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

@akistotle I got the same error