Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just a bunch of application Qs for y'all

Hey there! So many questions now that I've started digging through apps...

1. Do people typically list hours/week on resumes?

2. When apps say "list all educational institutions attended," does that include high school?

3. Does a speeding ticket from 5 years ago count as a C&F issue? I know Emory says explicitly it does and should be disclosed. Should I be safe and disclose for other schools too?

4. Is there a good piece of advice anywhere on whether to do a GPA addendum? I'm leaning against doing so, because I don't have a great reason. (It'd be something like: I was very involved in a time-consuming extracurricular/didn't think I was going to school beyond undergrad/it's been 3 years since I've graduated and I've grown, yada yada...) AKA, I think it'd sound whiny and excuse-ridden.

5. And lastly, an unimportant technical question: on some schools' apps, LSAC auto-fills in a *****XXXX for my SSN. Should I re-type my SSN in full in the box below that?

THANK YOU

Comments

• ad_coelumad_coelum Alum Member
    edited September 2018 285 karma

I have answers to a few of your questions below. Also, 7Sage has a fantastic "Admissions" section (run by @"David.Busis") that costs only $10. I highly recommend it! I'm currently poring over it as I write my various essays. Most of your questions are answered in the Admissions course.

1) I think hours/weeks are for volunteer work, not necessarily for full- or part-time jobs
    2) Some schools specifically ask for high school and you'll see it as an option under the drop-down menu. Others only state "Undergrad, Grad, and Law" (no mention of HS) under the Education drop-down menu. So, this differs by school.
    4) 7Sage Admissions course goes over this in detail
    5) You should re-type your full SSN in the box

I am by no means an expert on this subject so others can chime in!

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

For question 1, the only application I have seen personally ask for it is Chicago. I also know people who got in without adding hours to their resume so... shrug?

• Gladiator_2017Gladiator_2017 Yearly Member
    1332 karma

I’ve been out of school for a few years and so my resume is broken down by: work experience, college employment, volunteer experience, awards,etc.

I included hours worked for my college employment and volunteer experience.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited September 2018 8392 karma

1) I think this is more important if you have only work experience during school, where it would be part time. I have been out of school quite a while, so didn't list hours because I only have my post-school full time positions on my resume. I did include one internship though, and I put hours per week in a bullet point underneath since it was during the school year.

2) Typically, yes. Each application is different. One of the apps I filled out had a separate section to list your high school, so I didn't add it under "list all educational institutions". For the ones that didn't have that prompt, I did include my high school. When in doubt, add in info. Better too much than too little.

3) This one is extremely dependent on the specific app. Read the prompt carefully. Here are a few samples from my apps last year:

Michigan:

Have you ever been convicted of a crime (following a jury or bench trial, a guilty plea, or a nolo contendere plea), or charged with a criminal offense that was later dismissed as a result of a plea bargain or alternative sentencing arrangement, or are such criminal charges pending or expected to be brought against you? Include misdemeanors and criminal infractions, as well as any interaction with a law enforcement agency that resulted in payment of a fine or order of community service. Do not include minor traffic violations or civil infractions or citations for which jail time was not a potential penalty.

Cornell:

Have you ever, either as an adult or a juvenile, been cited, ticketed, arrested, taken into custody, charged with, indicted, convicted or tried for, or pleaded guilty to, the commission of any felony or misdemeanor or the violation of any law, or been the subject of any juvenile delinquency or youthful offender proceeding? Traffic violations that occurred more than ten years before the filing ofthis application need not be reported, with the exception of alcohol or drug-related traffic violations, which must be reported in all cases irrespective of when they occurred. Do not report parking violations. If yes, describe the incident(s) below.
    Although a conviction may have been expunged from the records by an order of a court, it nevertheless should be disclosed in the answer to this question. For example, if you were charged with shoplifting, only received a fine, and the charge was expunged, you
    must disclose; or, if you were charged with, but not convicted of, possession of an illegal substance, you must disclose; or if you received a traffic violation as a minor for possession of alcohol, you must disclose. Also, you should have available and be prepared to submit or exhibit copies of police and court records regarding any matter you disclose in reply to this question.

UCLA:

Have you ever been convicted of a misdemeanor or felony (or the equivalent in a juvenile court)? This includes sealed convictions and all convictions where you entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere. You need not report traffic violations unless conviction for the violation(s) would constitute a misdemeanor or a felony. NOTE: You must promptly inform the Admissions Office in writing if any such conviction occurs between your submission of this application and your registration at UCLA School of Law. In addition, should you enroll at UCLA School of Law, you must promptly inform the Dean of Students in writing if any conviction occurs during your time as a student through graduation.

So the answer to your question with the above prompts would be: No, yes, no. Read carefully, and when in doubt, disclose. They won't hold a speeding ticket against you. But they will hold lying about a speeding ticket against you.

4) If you haven't already, you should go through the 7sage Admissions course. It's included with Ultimate+! It's super helpful in answering questions like this. I would say probably not in this case. Addenda are for telling the committee something that they wouldn't know otherwise (a sick parent, went through a divorce... etc). And these are not super strong reasons.

5) If LSAC pre-fills it, you don't have to re-type it. But you can if you want to make sure it's in there correctly.

• samantha.ashley92samantha.ashley92 Alum Member
    1777 karma

I can't wait to explain that I got a ticket for driving through a red light a second after it turned red. The officer who wrote me the ticket actually came to court to tell the judge not to give me any points for it.

Also, I got a $77 fine (no ticket) for being in a park after dusk. It has been 10 years since that happened. Hopefully, that won't have to be disclosed.

I think the only reason schools would want to know this stuff is because if I had this happen 10 times, it would speak to my character. But really... it's not even worth their time to read this stuff.

As for the GPA addendum, it really depends on your GPA and what schools you're applying for. If you're applying to a top 20 school with a GPA under 3.0, definitely write one. But you better have a good way to explain the situation so it doesn't sound like an excuse. I would not write that you didn't think your GPA would matter because you didn't think you'd go to a graduate program. Actually, it would probably be better to not write an addendum at all than to imply that you didn't take school seriously because you didn't think it mattered. I would suggest getting the admissions course that 7Sage offers. If you have further questions, purchase the "edit once" and get help from one of the pros.

• kimw2015kimw2015 Member
    81 karma

Thanks, everyone! Still need to go through parts of the admission course. Sorry for the redundancy.