Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Panicking after Sept Test

Another DayAnother Day Member
in General 54 karma

Hi...
I need some help in depicting what went wrong.
I started studying since mid-April with a 149 start.
My first exam in July was a 155.
I've been consistently PTing around 160-164.
And my September exam was shot down to 148.

I don't know what happened. Yes, test conditions were horrible, but I don't think that's an excuse.

I haven't studied once since the September exam and now, I'm terrified.

I've lost all confidence and I'm scared. I don't know what to do.
I was planning to send in my applications this Wednesday, but now I'm completely lost.

I can't get into the schools that I was planning to apply, and I wasn't planning on lowering my standards too much.

My GPA is 3.72 and I'm not a URM, but a veteran.

I just feel hopeless and I don't know where to start.

I know in my mind I should sign up for the November exam, but with this devastation, I'm having a difficult time overcoming it.
What do I need to do? I know... I should have studied a bit, in case of situations like this... but I can't do anything with lost time.

Do I go on with the 155 or sign up for November? I won't even know if it's an improved score or worse score...

Comments

• ChaimtheGreatChaimtheGreat Alum Member 🍌🍌
    1277 karma

First, I want to congratulate you on taking the LSAT. This is a hard test and a long journey. Even if you are disappointed, everyone here is proud of you and the work you have done. Remember, Law Schools really only look at your highest score. You can retake the LSAT in November. Perhaps, start your November studying with a retake of a PT did you did well on. Go back to favorite games or passages to build up steam. Have you ever gotten a glowing job review while in service, schools, or employment? What about LORs? Re-read them, hear from those who know you best about why they believe in you. This occasionally helps me build confidence and get going after a setback. You go this!

As for actual test prep, I am not sure how to give advice without seeing a complete section breakdown. On a hunch, I would suggest studying up on LG. It is the easiest to grab points on and the confidence you build there should snowball into a better test performance.

If you want more detailed advice, dm me. I would be happy to take a look at any material!

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

A drop of a few points from practice average to test day is pretty expected, but a 15 point drop suggests that there's more to be learned. You mentioned that test day conditions weren't good, which can't be controlled obviously, but they can be prepared for. If you do decide to retake, I would practice doing strictly timed PTs in a variety of locations under various conditions. Unless there was a bubbling error, it sounds like test day pressure got the best of you. Have you tried meditation or anything like that? And to second what @ChaimtheGreat said, be proud that you've made it this far! It's a crazy frustrating process, but you can get through it!

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:
    First, I want to congratulate you on taking the LSAT. This is a hard test and a long journey. Even if you are disappointed, everyone here is proud of you and the work you have done. Remember, Law Schools really only look at your highest score. You can retake the LSAT in November. Perhaps, start your November studying with a retake of a PT did you did well on. Go back to favorite games or passages to build up steam. Have you ever gotten a glowing job review while in service, schools, or employment? What about LORs? Re-read them, hear from those who know you best about why they believe in you. This occasionally helps me build confidence and get going after a setback. You go this!

As for actual test prep, I am not sure how to give advice without seeing a complete section breakdown. On a hunch, I would suggest studying up on LG. It is the easiest to grab points on and the confidence you build there should snowball into a better test performance.

If you want more detailed advice, dm me. I would be happy to take a look at any material!

So beautifully written. What a warmhearted person!

• angrigory2angrigory2 Free Trial Member
    6 karma

This is not easy and its never going to be, what are you gonna do about it?!
    Ive taken the test 3 times and underestimated the strength of the test so much that each and every time it made me feel dumber and dumber. My advice to you will be don't let it break you, thats what it exactly wants to do. Why I'm studying to take the test again? After having so many set backs and so many people look down on me? Because i know I can do better. I know i never gave in my all. Don't underestimate your enemy, guess what? Thats exactly what I always did.But after couple punches in the face I realized that this test or the test makers are not smarter then me, and i don't need to underestimate them to make myself feel smarter and stronger. I just need to let them be and focus my energy on what I can do not what they can't do to me. Go on take the test again if you need to, but only if you feel that you got more to bring to the table then you already did. Don't do it again if you're not confident on yourself. And believe me we all know the difference between when we are 100% and when we want to act like we are. Regardless of what you choose to do, don't harm your confidence!

• I love this post! It warms my black heart that there are so many students on this discussion forum that are lifting each other up.

I can definitely relate to getting a lower LSAT score than what you were expecting. I've been experiencing anxiety and every day it feels like it gets worse and worse. Since I've been studying for this test it has increased tenfold. I have tried everything: yoga, meditation, cutting sugar and alcohol out of my diet, getting a massage, exercise, and taking a break from the LSAT. Taking medication has always been a last resort, but after a year of this- I'm serously at my wit's end. I have an appointment to meet with a therapist next Tuesday and could not be more excited for a doctor's appointment. My anxiety is getting out of hand so much so that it is starting to affect people around me and my day to day life. Not to exagerrate but I feel like I am living in hell. It is crippling and a lot of the time I feel like I have no way out. I have taken the LSAT more times then I would like to admit. I know the material but am having problems reaching my goal score on an actual LSAT test, because my test day anxiety is so severe. I know that I can score higher on the LSAT, which is why I'm taking it again in November. Have you ever thought about talking to someone?

I can definitely relate to what you are going through. I would definitely sign up for the November test and take it day by day. It's really hard getting over a disappointment like that. I honestly feel so stupid when I talk to someone who studied for the LSAT and they say that they only took it once. Keep pushing forward, I know you can do this!! Take a couple days and relax and then start studying again this weekend. We have seven weeks until the november test which I think is plenty of time. You said that test day conditions were horrible, which is probably why you got the score you did in September. Maybe practice in a coffee shop or some place noisy. You got this and I believe in you. You also have all these other people on this forum cheering you on. Don't worry November is your month to shine!! I wish you the best of luck!!! <3

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@"Another Day" said:
    Hi...
    I need some help in depicting what went wrong.
    I started studying since mid-April with a 149 start.
    My first exam in July was a 155.
    I've been consistently PTing around 160-164.
    And my September exam was shot down to 148.

I don't know what happened. Yes, test conditions were horrible, but I don't think that's an excuse.

I haven't studied once since the September exam and now, I'm terrified.

I've lost all confidence and I'm scared. I don't know what to do.
    I was planning to send in my applications this Wednesday, but now I'm completely lost.

I can't get into the schools that I was planning to apply, and I wasn't planning on lowering my standards too much.

My GPA is 3.72 and I'm not a URM, but a veteran.

I just feel hopeless and I don't know where to start.

I know in my mind I should sign up for the November exam, but with this devastation, I'm having a difficult time overcoming it.
    What do I need to do? I know... I should have studied a bit, in case of situations like this... but I can't do anything with lost time.

Do I go on with the 155 or sign up for November? I won't even know if it's an improved score or worse score...

Well let's not jump the gun here. A huge drop like that is not an accident or due to simple nerves. First, check your answer key on the IRR pdf on your LSAC page to make sure you didn't miss bubble or anything like that. There has also been cases where the machine scanner was wrong and someone managed to get it hand-checked. Regardless take a thorough look over your September test first before deciding your next step.

• Like_SpikeLike_Spike Live Member
    203 karma

If it makes you feel any better I'm very much in the same boat. Began studying at the beginning of May. My first post-curriculum PT at the end of July was a167 with my range being 165-169 through nine PTs. I ended up scoring a 157 (-5 RC, -11 LR, -9 LG, -6 LR) on the September exam and my confidence has been devastated the last few days. I don't attribute it to overconfidence nor test anxiety because I felt nervous but not unbearably so. Nor was it a slow start because my first section was my best. The best explanation I've come up with for myself is that I got swept up in the moment of the test day atmosphere and began abandoning "the fundamentals" that we're all taught. Though test day was all a complete blur I barely can remember, I'm really beginning to suspect I just instinctually reverted back what I had been doing back when I was taking my diagnostic.

Given that you had a BIG score drop (just like me), while also saying test conditions weren't the sole cause of it and that you didn't mention having a complete meltdown during the test, maybe the same thing happened to you? If so, it might just be a matter of taking more and more timed PTs with test day conditions (pre-recorded proctor, maybe an experimental 5th section) and just continuing to do that. It was eye opening how much test day really is a different environment compared to any practice test, and that it's hard to mimic. But nevertheless, to an extent you just have to convince (or deceive) yourself into thinking that it's just another practice test and that a bunch of other people are just taking the same PT with you. I hope that helps, and know you're seriously not alone!

• Llama WhispererLlama Whisperer Alum Member
    138 karma

@ChaimtheGreat said:

I teared up reading this. I also got shot down by the september LSAT and I was really down until I read your post. Thank you so much

• helentang02helentang02 Alum Member
    246 karma

Needed this! You are not alone. Do not give up you have what it takes.

• Mia FairweatherMia Fairweather Alum Member
    221 karma

@helentang02 is right !you are not alone ina similar situation. Stay strong!