Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I retake in November? Weird situation.

gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
edited October 2018 in General 126 karma

Hi all.

I graduated college last December and basically committed myself to studying for the LSAT since January of 2018. I worked a very flexible part-time job that allowed me to study more or less 15-20 hours a week. My original intention was to take the LSAT in June.

However, in hindsight, my studying was pretty ineffective. I went through the Bibles and took very detailed notes and then registered for 7sage in March (also taking very detailed notes on the lessons.) I kind of ignored practice tests or even practice sections. I guess a good analogy would be that I was reading books on how to play the piano without ever practicing on a piano.

I pushed my test to September and tried taking a practice test every week or so beginning in late July. By the time I had taken the test, I had maybe 7 or 8 PTs completed. Unfortunately, I didn't blind review them like I know I should've and I also didn't spend enough time on logic games (always my worst section.) My scores were in the mid 160s with a one time high of 170.

I sat for the September test and ended up with a 162. My diagnostic back in January was 153. I know I have the potential to do a lot better. My goal is a 170. I have a 4.0 GPA and I'd love to go to a T-14 or a T1 school on a large scholarship (I'm very debt averse.)

I left my job and will be committing myself to just taking PTs, timed sections, blind reviewing, and fool proofing from now until November. Is it possible to see an 8 point improvement by the November test? I hope to take 3 PTs a week between now and the exam.

Some other miscellaneous information:
On PTs, my best section has always been LR. I usually got 1-3 wrong on each LR section. For the September exam, I got -15 (9 and 6) on LR - my worst section. Ironically, I did pretty well on LG - only 2 wrong, despite usually going -5 on LG during PTs.

Comments

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

Wow honestly I mean this in the nicest way possible your study techniques have been horrible AND you did super well on the lsat!!
    Maybe try to take November and if you’re not hitting 170+ regularly then sit out a cycle or just take January. I think 4.0/170 could be ok to apply later in the cycle if you’re adamant on this cycle. You’re clearly capable of a 170+ and your gpa is perfect. You could get into HYS or a full ride from any t10.
    Did you PT any 70s-80s tests? Maybe take one of those as a sort of diagnostic, blind review, figure out your weaknesses, and then go back into the 7sage curriculum and drill by type for a few days and hone in on your weaknesses. Rinse and repeat. Maybe it’s a timing issue and you need to record yourself PTing and see if you hesitate too much on certain as or if you speed thru certain qs.
    And keep foolproofing LG you can get that to -0.

Note if you haven’t taken the 70s-80s PTs before, and as you notice your weaknesses and learn better technique, you might actually do worse. I’m not sure if the above is a quick few week fix. As in maybe you could just brute force your way to a 170 in the next few weeks with your previous study technique.

• gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
    126 karma

@oshun1 Thanks so much for the advice! I think my last two PTs were late 70s/80s. All of my previous PTs were in the 50s. I think it was the Sept 2017 PT that I got a 170 on. I'm planning on taking a very recent test (possibly one administered in 2017/2018) as a new diagnostic tomorrow. I'll see where I stand and try to identify weaknesses.

I'm not adamant about applying this cycle. It would be nice to be able to apply this cycle but I value sending in the strongest application possible rather than starting law school by a certain date.

• gettysburggettysburg Alum Member
    126 karma

Just as an update - I took a full PT (5 sections, timed -- I only took 4 section PTs before the September test) and then I blind reviewed.

PT: 171
    Blind Review: 180

I got -6 on LG which is typical because I have a timing issue when I reach the fourth game. I know to work on LG.