Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fee Waivers

124»

Comments

• @NotMyName said:
    Harvard just accepted my need-based application for a waiver. If anyone has questions about that process let me know.

Have you submitted one to Stanford? Harvard was quick to approve (less then a couple days) but Stanford still hasn't given me a determination 5+ days later. Wondering if anyone else is experiencing this delay.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

@"Michaela.Pratt1" Harvard was quick for me too, but I haven’t applied to Stanford for one yet. What was that process like?

• edited September 2018 534 karma

@NotMyName said:
    @"Michaela.Pratt1" Harvard was quick for me too, but I haven’t applied to Stanford for one yet. What was that process like?

They asked for a lot more in terms of your parent's finances which was a bit harder for me personally since I've been out of undergrad for a few years and don't live at home/am 100% financially separated from them. They also followed up via email to ask me additional questions after I submitted the form and said they would let me know their decision soon. From there, it's just been a waiting game.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@NotMyName That's great news! What do they ask in the form? Just your financial situations? If it's just based on that I would probably qualify too lol cause I think we're making about the same

5320 karma

@sx23 You have to email them jdadmiss@law.harvard.edu and request a waiver form. The form asks for some basic background information and provides a space to explain your financial hardship.

Penn required far more detailed information about my financials so I copy and pasted that into the open space and explained that I am funding this entire process and law school independently. They responded with a fee waiver in just a few days.

Yeah you should definitely apply for it then. Keep us posted!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Why is UCLA playing me lol I emailed requesting a fee waiver and they sent me an auto response with the fee waiver policy

3652 karma

Fordham doesn’t do merit based waivers

5320 karma

@"surfy surf"

Why is UCLA playing me lol I emailed requesting a fee waiver and they sent me an auto response with the fee waiver policy

I got that response from U of Chicago : (

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

@"surfy surf" said:

What's the policy? I haven't gotten many waivers this year, probably since I applied last year. But I've been meaning to email them.

5320 karma

UCLA sent a waive on August 20.

8392 karma

@NotMyName Yeah, unfortunately I didn't get one. Several schools that are right in my range and I got waivers for last year didn't send them this time. I think the CRS system doesn't work great for a second round.

edited October 2018 3652 karma

@"Leah M B"
    “The Law School also extends merit-based fee waivers based upon data from LSAC's Candidate Referral Service (CRS) and in conjunction with various recruiting events. To be considered for a merit-based fee waiver, register with the LSAC Candidate Referral Service and if you are selected to receive a waiver based on our selection parameters, we will notify you by email. Please be sure that your CRS account is active, your intended enrollment year is accurate, and that you have either a self-reported or LSAC-calculated GPA.”

I wonder if we didn’t get them bc we are both reapplicants. I was WL last year and finally rejected over the summer.

8392 karma

@"surfy surf" Yeah, I'm assuming that's the case. I made sure to update my enrollment year for CRS, but there are at least 4-5 schools that I got waivers from last year that aren't sending them for this one. Super frustrating. Let me know if you hear back! I should get started on requesting these too...

3652 karma

UCI doesn’t have an app fee this year!! I remember seeing it on their website a few weeks ago but just went into autopilot and sent them a request anyways smh

• RiseandGrindRiseandGrind Alum Member
    219 karma

UVA just sent a fee waiver! Quite surprised to receive one from them but my wallet is smiling

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

Yea apparently they didn't update their data base: I already received a waiver upon request but they sent me one anyway. Wonder whether I can actually get some cash back:)

• mizbanismizbanis Member
    55 karma

Just received some waivers with only a sept 2018 score! UCLA, UVA, Vanderbilt, and Duke.

3652 karma

Georgetown just gave me a (solicited) merit based waiver

5320 karma

Dang! Jealous!

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

FYI people Columbia just sent out some fee waivers

• 180degrees180degrees Alum Member
    121 karma

I just received a fee waiver from Columbia this morning. The schools in the T13/T14 that I've not received fee waivers from yet are HYS and Cal. Has anyone received unsolicited fee waivers from those schools yet? I've heard that HYS only provide need-based fee waivers, but I'm not sure what the deal is for Cal. Cal's website makes it seem as though they only give fee waivers for honors such as Fulbright Scholarships, programs like TFA, or for cases of extreme financial need, but Columbia's website states that they only process fee waivers from LSAC (which implies that they only give need-based fee waivers). However, my email specifically mentioned my LSAT score as the reason I was receiving a fee waiver from them.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@180degrees I got a waiver from Cal for two days and then they withdrew it and this has happened to other people so maybe they don't really give out merit waivers

• 180degrees180degrees Alum Member
    121 karma

@sx23 good to know—thanks for the info!

• notsplittsnotsplitts Free Trial Member
    267 karma

Hawaii is the one school out of the 37~ I applied to that did not give me a fee waiver. They said they do not give out fee waivers to anyone unless they are vets or can prove some sort of financial hardship.

8392 karma

Bumping this thread back up for posterity. I'm re-applying this year and though I updated my application year in CRS, a good number of schools that gave me unsolicited waivers last year didn't this year. I just reached out to Michigan and Cornell to solicit them. Michigan happily gave me a code and Cornell replied with a link to their policy saying basically, if we wanted to give you one, we would have done it.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little salty about that. I was waitlisted last year and had a really lovely conversation with the admissions dean that made me even more interested. I'm at both 75ths... kind of a head scratcher. I'm debating whether to reply and mention that I received one last year and have heard that CRS may not always be reliable when applying a 2nd time, so thought I would double check. I dunno... good idea, bad idea? I'd of course be polite and non-assuming, but thinking maybe they just see "fee waiver" and then copy and paste their response without even really looking.

• TrustingGodTrustingGod Free Trial Member
    240 karma

Have you received a fee waiver from nyu, Columbia, or upenn? Upenn's applications seems tedious and hard to be accepted for. And nyu and Columbia don't send out need based fee waivers

3652 karma

@TrustingGod I got unsolicited fee waivers from all of those except for Columba

5320 karma

@TrustingGod I got unsolicited waiver from nyu and a need based waiver from penn. Nothing from Columbia.

@"Leah M B" I don’t think there’s any harm in sending a follow up as you say since I’m sure you would hit the write tone (pun). There’s a good chance they have just sent you a rubber stamp response. No harm no foul.

• The NoodleyThe Noodley Alum Member
    edited November 2018 662 karma

@"Leah M B" I personally won't do it. Like you, I am a reapplicant and wrote similar emails (telling some schools I am a reapplicant and received fee waivers last year). A few schools gave me codes. UChicago said no and referred me to the website even though I had a fee waiver last year. So I paid the application fee.

• Rigid DesignatorRigid Designator Alum Member
    1091 karma

Just to add some confusion to how fee-waivers are decided; I don't have a reportable GPA (foreign) and I've received unsolicited fee waivers from Penn, Cornell, Vanderbilt, UCLA, as well as some lower-ranked schools.

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

Glad to see everyone again! How r y'all doing? @NotMyName that's weird your LSAT is higher than mine but you didn't get a waiver from Columbia? I thought they gave waivers based on that.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@sx23 said:
    Glad to see everyone again! How r y'all doing? @NotMyName that's weird your LSAT is higher than mine but you didn't get a waiver from Columbia? I thought they gave waivers based on that.

Also got nothing from Columbia ¯_(ツ)_/¯

• sx23sx23 Alum Member
    409 karma

@eRetaker lol you will get in anyway!

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

@sx23 said:
    @eRetaker lol you will get in anyway!

Lol here's hoping the $85 is worth