Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling Hopeless

a.ram005a.ram005 Alum Member
in General 30 karma

Hello,

I started the core curriculum in August (the busiest time of year for my job), and I've had to play a lot of catch up or reset my study schedule from taking a week off a couple of times here and there. I was on a good pace and understanding the curriculum pretty well up until we got to validity through finishing the core curriculum for arguments. I'm not sure where I messed up to begin with. I read around advice from others about leaving problem sets available throughout the curriculum, especially if I was understanding it so I had something to come back to after I began doing PTs that indicated maybe I needed more work in that area.

Things I know I haven't done but need to do (memorize = I know they need to become intuitive):
- memorize logical indicators
- memorize premise / conclusion indicators (though I intuitively am good at this, I still need to memorize them for timing purposes)
- memorize valid argument forms
- memorize invalid argument forms

I just stopped on the Quiz on Drawing Valid Conclusions that closes up on validity and everything that I just did related to valid and invalid argument forms. Mostly because I am just lost.

With the announcement of the transition to the computer LSAT for the July 2019 test and officially by September 2019. I am feeling the pressure of a June 2019 test. Otherwise, I've wasted my money on 7sage, and my time on studying in a way that will only be helpful to me if I have a paper test (especially after reviewing the thread on this matter).

I want to just get through the CC so I can come back to what I need to work on, but now I feel like I'm just getting more lost but starting over now seems like I'll never be ready by June 2019. I guess I just don't know how to approach my studying anymore with where I am at, and what is to come with the paper LSAT. Any advice, uplifting comments, etc. would be appreciated.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Hey @a.ram005,

I understand that you are frustrated, but LSAT will be the same after June 2019. It's just that the format will change. So if you need time, there is no reason to rush.

@a.ram005 said:
    With the announcement of the transition to the computer LSAT for the July 2019 test and officially by September 2019. I am feeling the pressure of a June 2019 test. Otherwise, I've wasted my money on 7sage, and my time on studying in a way that will only be helpful to me if I have a paper test (especially after reviewing the thread on this matter).

The content will be the same. All the fundamental lessons on logic will be helpful to you on the digital LSAT.

This is from LSAC's press release:

The structure of the test sections and test questions will not be any different than the paper-and-pencil LSAT, and we’ll be providing free online tutorials, so we don’t think test takers will have any problems moving to the digital version,” Testy said. “In our field tests, candidates found the Digital LSAT easy to use. That said, we wanted to provide additional options for those who register for our July transitional test.”
    https://www.lsac.org/about/news/lsac-announces-digital-lsat-launch-schedule

• InItToWinItInItToWinIt Alum Member
    3 karma

Don't fret friend. I understand your frustration. As someone who has personally been stuck within the same testing range for 6 months, I've come to 7Sage as sort of a Hail Mary for the November test. Trust the process. I can definitely say that this material is quite good, because it gets into all of the underlying logic. I've used other materials that offer trademarked formulas, but that always seemed like a buffer between the actual logic and me grasping the true foundations of this test. LSAT writers are smart, but guess what? So are we. I'm finally putting in the intense level of studying that is required for me to make the gains that I believe are possible. For me, there is no way around that. Stick with it. I figure, hey I'll be studying 30+ hours a week during law school, so this is training for that. It'll all be worth it. Chin up Charlie. :wink:

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, don't worry about when you take the test yet. Also, the AMA webinars are available if you want to hear about people's journeys. Stay in the game and it'll get better.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited October 2018 3652 karma

Try your best on the beginning of the CC and take good notes. I’m not suggesting skipping but don’t just get stuck on the very beginning of the CC, move on. I didn’t understand logic last year when I studied and it did take me going back through the CC a second time to understand it. Once you get through more problem sets it will make sense and you can go back and refer to the beginning of the CC. I never memorized any of the indicators or valid/invalid arguments, it’s better to just understand them. In the very beginning try to memorize them but don’t kill yourself over it. You’ll get a lot of practice as you move through the cc and all the indicators and argument types will be drilled into your brain through the problem sets.
    You can take the test in June, July, September, November. You have more than enough time. The test isn’t changing, it’s just going to be on the computer. 7sage being an online curriculum with online problem sets is conducive to that.

• Harvey_lHarvey_l Alum Member
    268 karma

Hey! I wish you the best, and I really hope you'll do well. Thank yourself for the journey so far too!