Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Using the same strategy as JY but not as fast

MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
in Logic Games 350 karma

Taking at least a minute over but the steps I follow and the inferences I arrive at are exactly same. However, I am reading off of the screen and doing the game on paper, would that make a difference?
If some of you faced this, why is this? And how do I get generally faster at LG? I am already foolproofing and I see a difference but I am still slower than JY's estimates. Sometimes by 2 minutes, sometimes by 30 seconds.

Comments

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

That's fine. The important thing is to understand the strategy first. With practice, timing will follow.

I faced this as well. When I first started, it would take me as much as five or ten minutes past J.Y.'s estimates to finish a Logic Game. Over time, though, my intuition started sharpening. Yours will as well.

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2804 karma

I began doing games by reading the questions and stimulus from my laptop and writing on scrap paper. Increasing familiarity with inferences and game types through fool proofing is the most effective way to get faster. However, I picked up a lot of speed from printing LG questions/stimuli and doing them on paper. I found it a lot easier to look back and forth and also cross out rules to ensure that I did not miss anything. In general, I felt a lot more in control and in the moment this way. If you can find a way to print them out I would recommend it.

• SamiSami Live Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    edited October 2018 10795 karma

@MindyKale said:
    Taking at least a minute over but the steps I follow and the inferences I arrive at are exactly same. However, I am reading off of the screen and doing the game on paper, would that make a difference?

It's funny but I think a lot of tutoring because its done on the screen, I have had to do exactly this. I don't think I am any slower on screen vs paper. It did take a bit of adjusting and at first it was jarring but now it feels like second nature. I don't think its going to be a big problem.

If some of you faced this, why is this? And how do I get generally faster at LG? I am already foolproofing and I see a difference but I am still slower than JY's estimates. Sometimes by 2 minutes, sometimes by 30 seconds.

Are you slower or too fast at set ups or questions or both? I think the answer to where exactly you were slow and what caused it should determine the solution.

For example, If you were slower at set ups then you may want to write down the inference that gave you trouble. For example, lets say it took you a three minutes in set up and then you missed a key inference; you want to then do similar games to get familiar and write down how to see that key inference in future. You could also have sunk your time in a question: maybe you didn't see how a rule in the questions interacted with your other rules in set up or instead of having a process where you used intuition or should have skipped; you decided to brute force. Picking up on "what you were slow on" and "why you were slow" is going to really help you in getting faster.