Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LOR from Friend at Paul Weiss

Hey everybody!

My childhood best friend has been an associate at Paul Weiss (prestigious big law firm--JY actually worked there) for about 8 years. He went to Columbia Law School and clerked for a State Supreme Court judge (now I'll stop talking about him). What do you think about a LOR from him saying, 'I've known him for 25 years, and in my experience in the legal profession, I think he'd be remarkably successful because of X reason, Y reason, Z reason." Does that seem weird? Thanks for any input!

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Honestly, wouldn't go that route. They want references from either professors or someone who has been a direct supervisor and knows your work. Someone who hasn't been in either of those positions related to you is not going to be what they are looking for.

• NotMyNameNotMyName Alum Member Sage
    5320 karma

Hard “no” on friends and family for LOR.

• msk12345msk12345 Alum Member
    247 karma

That is definitely a bad idea.

• JCUI7455JCUI7455 Free Trial Member
    78 karma

Yeah, I agree with everyone else here. There is a good reason for schools to think that friends are biased. The same goes for family members.

• FixedDiceFixedDice Member
    edited October 2018 1804 karma

It's a truly wonderful idea! For other applicants, that is.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Voting no on the LOR but hopefully he can help you network.

• tekken1225tekken1225 Alum Member
    770 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Voting no on the LOR but hopefully he can help you network.

Yeah, especially if he makes partner (at 8 years he should be up or not really soon), you really have an advantage at that department once you graduate from law school, OP.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

No

• Logic GainzLogic Gainz Alum Member
    700 karma

I think we've reached a verdict...