Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Consistent Score in 3 weeks?!

TeaspoonTeaspoon Alum Member

I am fluctuating in the range 165-172. My median score is a 168 and I'm aiming for a 170 on test day. I know I am capable of it - my BR score fluctuates about 2-3 points in either direction of 175.

I'd love any advice on how to consistently produce my top scores. Some details/stats:
- RC (Avg. -6) feels like my biggest challenge. I am a slow reader and have a hard time getting in the author's head (so I miss these questions regularly). I am usually skimming the last passage (or the passage with the fewest # of Qs) and rushing through those questions.
- LG is my highest scoring section and my favorite - not putting any more time into this. Sometimes I miss a question, usually I have 3-5 minutes left for review.
- LR: (Avg. -3) From the analytics, Flaw is my highest priority closely followed by NA and PSA. I finish LR sections 75% of the time - the other 25% I'm guessing 2 questions.

With 3 short weeks left what can I do to nail down those last few points? Should I shorten the time on my PTs? Take fewer PTs and focus on Flaw, NA, PSA? Something else entirely?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

Definitely focus on those harder question types in between PTs. Drill like crazy, but also take the time to figure out why you're missing them so that you can remedy that. Make sure that the rest of your PTs are taken under really strict test day like situations. It sounds like you might need a skipping strategy for RC. If you know you're probably going to miss the author perspective questions, skip them so that you aren't rushing through other questions that you could get right with that extra time that you've saved.

• TeaspoonTeaspoon Alum Member
    77 karma

Thanks for the tips! Also - fantastic username.

• Wait whatWait what Alum Member
    244 karma

I found the trainer really helpful with flaws and also NA questions because the two are closely related. From what I understand flaws are NAs. For example if a flaw is exposed it destroys the argument much the same as a negated necessary assumption. Usually ACs for flaw questions say “assumes without warrant”. These unwarranted assumptions are necessary for the validity of the argument. Hence flaws are necessary assumptions. The trainer brings this relationship out. It helped me a lot with flaw and NA questions.

• Wait whatWait what Alum Member
    244 karma

@"Wait what" said:
    I found the trainer really helpful with flaws and also NA questions because the two are closely related. From what I understand flaws are NAs. For example if a flaw is exposed it destroys the argument much the same as a negated necessary assumption. Usually ACs for flaw questions say “assumes without warrant”. These unwarranted assumptions are necessary for the validity of the argument. Hence flaws are necessary assumptions. The trainer brings this relationship out. It helped me a lot with flaw and NA questions.

The CC may also have mentioned this. It’s been awhile since I completed the NA and flaw section

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

@Teaspoon haha thanks!

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think drilling flaws could really help you. Not only are they difficult, but there's a significant number of them on every test.

Really work on memorizing the most common flaws (the cc has a list of them). There's also this thread where some folks on here have been compiling examples of the flaw types: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/16979

I'd work on getting really, really familiar with those. As I'm sure you've noticed, the LSAT really is repetitive. What helps a lot with speed is being able to have an eagle eye for things like the common flaws, so you don't have to spend much time on them.

I'd also work on timing goals with LR and maybe do some confidence drills. You obviously have a really solid foundation and know what you are doing, so it would be helpful for you to just speed up your process so you're not guessing on those last 2 questions, and maybe even have time to BR questions before time is up. Or, maybe a skipping strategy of skipping over things like parallel flaw/reasoning questions. Those tend to have a ton of text, so particularly if you are a slow reader, I think they can be real time sucks.