Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

confused on when to start and which plan to buy?

Here is my situation. I am currently in my third year. I was thinking to start studying for the LSAT next summer but i know that 3 months is not enough.. So should i take a gap year after I finish my studies? or is there a way for my situation to study for the LSAT and at the same time not to affect my studies in university? Also, I have all the preptests so which plan should i buy ?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Maybe the Starter for awhile and then upgrade later. It's flexible. This said, all the plans are really good. If you take a gap year, then you want to have a solid plan--maybe PT work or travel. Which law schools are you interested in?

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Starter level comes with the core curriculum which should take you some time to work through, but it has a shorter subscription time frame. I chose the ultimate package because it comes with every PT and has a longer subscription time. Whichever you choose, just realize that the earlier you start the better. Subscription time can be extended if necessary.

The core curriculum takes some time to get through. Don't rush it or your fundamentals will be lacking for certain question types (or even section types). Logic games need to be repeated over and over again to really get down. PTs should be thoroughly reviewed before being scored so you are able to really dissect questions and understand what you know and don't know (Blind Review method). And finally, timed section strategies need to be developed so you are spending time on questions you have a chance to get correct and not wasting time on questions you get stuck on and are unlikely to get correct. For some people this test comes more naturally than it does for others, but most will not score near their potential in just 3 months of prep.

Long story short, if you started now and just studied in your spare time, you would be in better shape for next summer than if you waited until you are done with school. Focus on grades, but start familiarizing yourself with this mountain of a test. Good luck!

• @drbrown2 so ur saying i should familiarize myself with the test and then take a year to fully dive into it? Is that you did or is it possible to like study next summer and then after i finish my 4th year to continue on what I've learned?
    I mean is the gap year essential? and if not whats the best strategy then to study for the test?
    OH and Btw, I have all the preptests (HARD COPIES) so what are the benefits for getting the ultimate pack besides the subscription being longer and it including all the PTs

• @lsatplaylist do you think is should take a gap year? how often do people do that? and if not what's the way to study for the LSAT and at the same time focusing on my Uni grades? I'm interested to go to UBC's Law school in Canada and Toronto's Law School

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

When are you scheduled to graduate? I should've added this before--focus on your GPA because once you graduate, you can't change it. If you had a gap year, how might you spend the time?

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited October 2018 261 karma

There's no right or wrong way to go about studying. If you're okay with taking a gap year, then do that. People have scored 170+ while working full time jobs and raising children, though, so it's not as if studying for the LSAT while going to uni and doing well on the LSAT are mutually exclusive. You need to make the time for yourself. You want to be in the type of mindset where you're willing to stay up a few extra hours each night to prepare for the LSAT because you want it THAT badly. All the time in the world won't help you if you can't motivate yourself.

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@levonm7 said:
    @drbrown2 so ur saying i should familiarize myself with the test and then take a year to fully dive into it? Is that you did or is it possible to like study next summer and then after i finish my 4th year to continue on what I've learned?
    I mean is the gap year essential? and if not whats the best strategy then to study for the test?
    OH and Btw, I have all the preptests (HARD COPIES) so what are the benefits for getting the ultimate pack besides the subscription being longer and it including all the PTs

Sorry for late reply.

I don't think you need to take a year, but don't try to cram. The core curriculum is important and takes a long time to work through even if you have the more limited practice sets for question types that comes with lower subscription levels. PTs take a long time because of the in depth review you should do for each one you take. If you have any free time now while you're still in undergrad, try to get into it as long as it doesn't negatively impact your grades.

Gap year is not essential, but would help you maximize your candidacy. You might be able to get a high score and go straight through with no problems but schools like to see a gap year with some work/volunteer/research aide experience.

Just make copies of those hard copy PTs and you're all set on that front.

• edited November 2018 148 karma

Wouldn't work for everyone but i devoted a concentrated 7 wks between my Sophomore and Junior year in college following a 7 wk internship and all i did was Study. Do you have a concentrated period of time this summer to study? I purchased the starter program , spent approx 3 wks going through the CC and than did 4 wks of PT. I purchased test 72-84 and concentrated on those exams and did a couple of the old ones included in the starter package(total did 15 PT).
    Prior to doing any studying, I did the FREE 2007 diagnostic test to see where i stood before studying. Prior to doing the test i spent about 2 hrs looking at the LSAC material online explaining the ins and outs of the test. I also had the advantage of taking a philosophy of Logic class in college which I highly suggest if you are able to next semester. Really helped me gain a lot of fundamentals on LR. I started at a 162 diagnostic and got 171 on the Sept. 2018 exam. It def. can be done if you can study FT and already have some solid fundamentals of logic before studying. My biggest gains from the CC were in the LG. My LR and RC were pretty solid prior to studying with 7sage as I was a SAT tutor (helped with RC) and also that philosophy of logic class.
    I think in order to determine if 3 mos. is enough, you need to take the FREE 2007 diagnostic to see where you stand before studying and how much gaps you have.
    You will have access to all the LG explanations for FREE with 7sage no matter what plan you purchase and can find great explanations online for the other 2 sections if you purchase the starter plan but concentrate on the newer exams which I definitely recommend.