Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). eliminating for wrong reasons - 7Sage Forum

eliminating for wrong reasons

kendallMkendallM Free Trial Member
edited March 2015 in General 66 karma
Sometimes I eliminate the wrong answer choice for the wrong reasons (I look at the Manhatten Explanations online and sometimes it's different reasons than why I eliminated)

Is that okay as long as I'm getting to the answer?

This is for logical reasoning.

Comments

• Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3438 karma
    Actually no... that is what BR is for... this is a process driven exam... use the right process is the best way of getting the best score... that is one of the first lessons on 7sage!
    You have to know 100% why the right answer is right and why all the wrong answers are wrong...
  • kendallMkendallM Free Trial Member
    edited March 2015 66 karma
    Well yeah I am 100% certain/confident in the wrong and right answers. Sometimes I just have different explanations than what is posted on Manhatten LR. I feel like sometimes there could be variaty of reasons why the wrong answer is wrong.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    No, your reasoning for marking an ac incorrect has to be similar to the one in the explanation. If it's not usually that's when you have to continue drilling until you see a pattern in those questions
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    edited March 2015 3462 karma
    Like for ex. for a weakening question you have to label the ctx, p, & c, and then weaken the support between the premise and conclusion. whatever the gap is btwn the premise and conclusion that weakens the arguments then that's the ac you anticipate for. So when you're going through each ac you know why each one is incorrect and why the one you chose it correct.
    Maybe for that particular question even then your reasoning should follow that of the explanations given... check multiple explanations... 7sage, Manhattan, and whatever else you use... while you may think your explanation to be correct... the LSAT writers have a particular way of thinking when they write an MSS or an MP or a Parallel Flaw or any other type of question... your job is to trace that reasoning... sure you might get lucky with an answer or two or a reasoning... but if your explanation has nothing elemental in common with the explanations given at 7sage and by the LSAT geeks on the Manhattan forum and any other standard prep material you use (by this I'm excluding Kaplan and Princeton Review) you ought to review because chances are... you haven't got the right reasoning... that may not affect you on that particular question... but it surely may on the actual test... you have to look out for you and what is in your best interest on the exam... this is the best way to do it. That said.. it may be that your reasoning is using the same elemental principles involved in the question... but you've worded your answer differently... then you're good.
    I guess for weakning, strengthen, and flaw questions the explanation for eliminating and picking right answer should be similar. But I have a hard time for some other question types such as MBT, role, main conclusion because you could have variety of reasons to eliminate the wrong answers. I remember when I took the prep test class people had different reasons of why they didn't pick an answer or even picked the right answer.
    I feel like some people eliminate because of something obvious and others eliminate because their really picky so they have variety of reasons why they eliminate an answer choice.

I think test writers usually put a few reasons in the wrong answers to eliminate it. Other times they make it for one very obvious reason.
    @"Nilesh S" yeah sometimes I know based on what the question is asking for, an answer choice could be wrong. I think that's what it is...I have the same thoughts of eliminating an answer but just worded different.

Sometimes I even see one explanation that is dissimilar than why I eliminated but then another person posts and adds to it using the same reasoning I had. That's why I feel like there could be variety of reasons.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    I would have to disagree here... granted there are plenty that should match up but given you said sometimes I'm going to assume this isn't every problem this happens. There are often a few reasons why a given question is wrong which JY will often point out, the Manhattan forums don't always give every reason and may give just one and you instinctively saw a different. As long as you are 100% certain you are understanding it properly and know why an answer is correct and why one is wrong I don't think it is a huge issue if sometimes your thought process and reasoning differ... I often will (or used to) look up a few sources to grasp an understanding why an answer is wrong and why the correct one is such and there are definitely differences among sources depending on the question. Again there are going to be questions that really only have 1 reason why they are wrong or right but if it happens on occasion and not for every problem I don't see it as a big problem
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    I second @jdawg113 here. In the LSAT Trainer, there are multiple in-text drills that guide the student through coming up with multiple flaws or reasons why a given argument or answer choice is flawed or incorrect (i.e. an AC being a poor match for the flaw in a given argument). I believe at one point he explicitly says something along the lines of what @jdawg113 said above.

BUT. The points others are making strike at the heart of the matter: if you are eliminating answers due to an incomplete or fuzzy understanding of fundamentals (task presented by the question stem, nature of conclusion viz. its being that which is meant to be supported by premises, etc.) OR of particular arguments (on the nature of the flaw in a given stimulus, etc.), then you must address that weakness. Otherwise you are missing an opportunity to learn and setting yourself up for unpleasant surprises (which sadly could be mitigated if not avoided altogether).

And OP—I'm right there with you and have wondered the same. I've reviewed/relearned the fundamentals at least 3 times and find it strengthening to affirm that foundation (and remind myself of it). It takes courage to honestly face weakness in this regard but your reward for that self-reflection is an opportunity to gain the clarity you lack.
    66 karma
    Thank you all
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    2654 karma
    "It's not essential that you come up with exact reasons why alternative modes of causation are possible during the course of the actual exam. However, it is critical that you recognize that alternative modes are indeed possible, and that the author is flawed in assuming one particular path of causation."

Manhattan Prep (2014-03-25). Logical Reasoning LSAT Strategy Guide, 4th Edition (Manhattan Prep LSAT Strategy Guides) (pp. 197-198). Manhattan Prep. Kindle Edition. look at that, it cited it for me :P
    Oh I have the 4th edition! I will look at it lol