Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Feeling Low and Lost my Burn

1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
in General 269 karma

I feel like I've been studying for the Nov LSAT for years!
I need to re-group and give the last 2 weeks all I have, but I can't seem to get myself mentally back to where I need to be.
I feel like my family doesn't want to talk about it with me anymore because it has been such an all consuming thing in our house for so long, and so I am left to internalize all my stress and sleepless anxiety alone.
Sorry to be such a downer, I'm just exhausted.
Has anyone else out there felt anything similar? The weird thing is that my numbers are okay and I really do want this goal for myself, so I don't know why I'm falling apart right at the 5 yard line.
Anyway, any advise or encouragement would be appreciated. Thank you all for being there for me in the short time I've spent with the 7sage community. It has been incredible. You guys are great.

Comments

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

No sorries necessary, these boards are the ideal place to air out frustrations about the LSAT, many of us have been there/done that.
    To get more specific about your goals, when you say "falling apart at the 5 yard line" do you mean your goal is only a few points away or so and as of right now you feel a bit overwhelmed with the test right around the corner? If so, what is your goal and what is the average of your last 5 or so PTs? (so we can get an idea of what kind of gap we might be closing here) We can talk specifics here with a full breakdown of your sections: -3 on LG/-4 on each LR etc. 15 days is enough time to gain a point or two for sure!

• 1Science1Art1Science1Art Alum Member
    269 karma

By the 5-yard line analogy I guess I meant time wise, that we are so close to the Nov date. 15 days compared to the many many months that I've spend preparing is a very short amount of time.
    As far as being close to my goal, I am pretty close to the 165 I was hoping for. I average a 161 and have for the last 6 PT's. But I'd love to be a clear contender for scholarship as I am an older student and would, of course, rather not have a bunch of debt.
    The school I am hoping to attend is right in that wheel house so with an undergrad GPA 3.97 and being an URM I think I have a decent shot. But am still just so overwhelmed with all the minutia and the worry. What if I freeze, what if my nerves take over...

• anna1234anna1234 Alum Member
    21 karma

I'm in the same exact boat. I took the Feb 2018 LSAT, scored a 161. Felt I could, and wanted to do better, so took a couple months off. Started studying with 7sage seriously in August for the Nov test. On 3 tests I got a 164, 165, 165. The last 4 tests I've taken are 162, 161, 161, 161. I'm frustrated and not sure how to play the next two weeks. I think I need to take a few days fully off to decompress. I think it would be wise to reduce stress and the feeling of being overwhelmed by completely distancing yourself from the LSAT for a few days.

• mbednarzmbednarz Member
    15 karma

I fell exactly the same way. I lessened my stress a bit by planning to register for the January LSAT. If I come out of the November test feeling awful, or I get back a bad score, I know I have the January test to fall back on. The scores for this upcoming test are set to release before the registration deadline for the January test. So if you do not need to take it, you haven't lost any money! If you do need to take it, jump on board and give it another go. Go into the test on the 17th almost thinking of it as your trial run. Maybe that will help you relax and perform well, just knowing this is not the end all be all!
    Find comfort in the fact that we are all stressed, anxious, and generally freaking out right now! Best of luck!

269 karma

Thank you all for your kind and very helpful words. It oddly does help knowing we are all stressed out now and are basically in the same boat. Thanks again.
    Here's to a good weekend of good progress and many breakthroughs.

• BinghamtonDaveBinghamtonDave Alum Member 🍌🍌
    8694 karma

A consistent gain of 4+ points on your average is tough in the time left before November's exam, but not impossible. I should note here that ideally, many test takers have preferred to have their average 2-3 points above their goal because of the possibility of test day curveballs that might adversely effect their consistency: an unpleasant temperature in the room, an unfamiliar setting, the possibility of a rude or unprofessional proctor (not a normal occurrence but within the realm of possibilities) etc.
    My recommendations for the following weeks:
    -Try to absolutely maximize points on LG,
    -Find some of the patterns in missed question types (necessary assumptions etc) and work on at the very minimum 2 of these specific problems, if they are there.
    -Have a clear game plan for maximizing points on RC
    You're going to want to do two things in the coming days: keep up the good work and add a few points. That can be a delicate balance, but certainly possible. If not, it is absolutely possible to get to by January.

Best
    David

269 karma

@BinghamtonDave said:
    A consistent gain of 4+ points on your average is tough in the time left before November's exam, but not impossible. I should note here that ideally, many test takers have preferred to have their average 2-3 points above their goal because of the possibility of test day curveballs that might adversely effect their consistency: an unpleasant temperature in the room, an unfamiliar setting, the possibility of a rude or unprofessional proctor (not a normal occurrence but within the realm of possibilities) etc.
    My recommendations for the following weeks:
    -Try to absolutely maximize points on LG,
    -Find some of the patterns in missed question types (necessary assumptions etc) and work on at the very minimum 2 of these specific problems, if they are there.
    -Have a clear game plan for maximizing points on RC
    You're going to want to do two things in the coming days: keep up the good work and add a few points. That can be a delicate balance, but certainly possible. If not, it is absolutely possible to get to by January.

Best
    David

Thank you so much Dave. I really appreciate a clear simple doable plan for the next 15 days. I think having this will help calm my worry as I know I can't do everything, but I can maintain what I have, and I can focus on adding those few extra points. I will follow your advice.

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

I did the October '18 International test and after I finished it, it was like a big burden was taken off. Before in September, I didn't want to really study at all. But I needed a long vacation from the LSAT after I took it. Luckily, I've got some books to catch up on, and some Red Dead Redemption to play.

Hang in there, take a deep breath, and just remember the processes for what each question type and you'll do alright.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

I definitely know how you feel. The burnout in these last two weeks is real, and having the LSAT be a constant presence in your home/not having people to talk to about it can really take a toll. Here's my advice, in list fashion!

1. Take a day off. I know that this might seem counterintuitive so close to test day, but trust me, it'll do wonders to re-charge your batteries. At this point in your studying, taking a day off won't impact your test score from a strictly knowledge based standpoint. However, choosing NOT to take a day off may affect your score negatively in the case of burnout. Similarly, choosing TO take a day off may affect your score positively. You'll be fresh, more motivated, etc. When you think about it like this, you really can't afford not to take a break.

1a. Try and do something on your off day that gives you life. It could be watching Netflix, or it could be going for a hike. Just do you, for you.

1. Know that November isn't the end-all, be-all. Law schools are okay with multiple attempts, and if at first you don't succeed, you can just try again. Many people take gap years to study for the LSAT. Success takes time. If it were easy, everyone would do it!

2. Listen to the 7Sage podcast. It's nice to hear the stories of people who've committed their lives to the LSAT and scored 170+. Additionally, actually hearing the voices of people in the same boat as you helps with the loneliness and burnout.

3. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

• 316 karma

Hi, I just wanted to drop in and say that you're not alone at all. I wanted to let you know that what you're experiencing is COMPLETELY normal. It's easy to feel a wide array of emotions before the test from anxiety to stress to even loneliness.

I literally went through what you went through today. I even bombed a PT because I was so exhausted, anxious etc. I feel constantly exhausted and I have no one to talk to about this - my friends for sure don't understand.

My point is, ultimately, what you're feeling is normal. Just keep on plowing through and follow the advice that people have written for you above. It's excellent advice. If you feel yourself freaking out, take a step away from your books and just go take a walk. At this point, you KNOW the material - the only thing keeping you away from the score you need is your mindset.

If you ever need to talk to someone when you're feeling stressed, you can always message me. I'd be happy to listen to your rants and we can talk about the anxieties that you/I feel about this test! :)

Good luck! I know you can do it!

269 karma
    1. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

While all your advise was very timely and appreciated, I love your 4th and final point. I feel that I forget to do this, so thanks for the gentle reminder.
    I took yesterday off and spent time with my daughters and started planning my Thanksgiving menu. Lol you were of course right, it got me away from the desk and reminded me that life is big and amazing and that I can go back to the prep today and not have lost anything but will have instead gained good time with my girls etc.
    Thanks again for taking your time to help me out.

269 karma

@lsatkt179 said:
    Hi, I just wanted to drop in and say that you're not alone at all. I wanted to let you know that what you're experiencing is COMPLETELY normal. It's easy to feel a wide array of emotions before the test from anxiety to stress to even loneliness.

I literally went through what you went through today. I even bombed a PT because I was so exhausted, anxious etc. I feel constantly exhausted and I have no one to talk to about this - my friends for sure don't understand.

My point is, ultimately, what you're feeling is normal. Just keep on plowing through and follow the advice that people have written for you above. It's excellent advice. If you feel yourself freaking out, take a step away from your books and just go take a walk. At this point, you KNOW the material - the only thing keeping you away from the score you need is your mindset.

If you ever need to talk to someone when you're feeling stressed, you can always message me. I'd be happy to listen to your rants and we can talk about the anxieties that you/I feel about this test! :)

Good luck! I know you can do it!

After reaching out through this post, I realize that I have a built-in community of fellow people who can and do empathize with each other and it really helps ward off the feelings of loneliness and the occasional questionings of one's sanity.
    Thank you for taking you time on your weekend to answer my post. I am feeling better and am gearing up for a PT right now. ?❤

269 karma

Sorry, haha IDK why I added a question mark emoji. I meant to add a smiley face. I'm gonna leave you alone now lol

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

@1Science1Art said:

1. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it.

While all your advise was very timely and appreciated, I love your 4th and final point. I feel that I forget to do this, so thanks for the gentle reminder.
    I took yesterday off and spent time with my daughters and started planning my Thanksgiving menu. Lol you were of course right, it got me away from the desk and reminded me that life is big and amazing and that I can go back to the prep today and not have lost anything but will have instead gained good time with my girls etc.
    Thanks again for taking your time to help me out.

No problem! We 7Sagers have to stick together. Good luck with your studies, we got this!