Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RC time management?

rationalbeingrationalbeing Free Trial Member

Hi!
For LR I have 5 min left after the first round to go back to any circled questions but i havent cultivated that strategy for RC.
I usually have 8~9 min for the last passage and have no time to go back to the circled questions.
Does anyone consistenly have a couple of minutes left at the end of the RC section? Is this a do-able or desirable strategy to develop?

Comments

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

According to my log based off of video footage it varies A LOTTTTT. There's sections where I've had 5-10 minutes and others where I've had to skip questions that I didn't have time to come back to. Interestingly, it seems like my scores don't vary much based on time left like they do for LR where I can almost count on the score I want if I'm left with 5-10 minutes. RC for me largely comes down to subject matter.

I'm agnostic about whether or not it's desirable/doable without knowing how you're scoring. The extra time at the end obviously isn't worth it if you're consistently missing questions you attempt on the first round.

• rationalbeingrationalbeing Free Trial Member
    19 karma

Thank you!
    I miss around 3 to 4 questions in RC. But on bad days I might score -6.
    Could you explain what you mean by
    "The extra time at the end obviously isn't worth it if you're consistently missing questions you attempt on the first round."?

Thank you!!

• AlexAlex Alum Member
    23929 karma

Hey!

Basically I mean that if you were missing like 8 let’s say I don’t think worrying about extra time is where you should put your focus. But missing 3-4 is pretty darn solid!

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27823 karma

I finish my LR's with about 10 minutes left, but in RC I'm always happy if I've got 2 - 3 to spare. It's a lot harder to do in RC. Review your footage for specific opportunities to bank a little away. You're doing fine, so you don't need to do anything drastic. There's always incremental improvement though, so just keep looking for the time and you'll find it.

• NicolekhNicolekh Alum Member
    335 karma

Maybe follow JY's method also of consistently asking yourself questions reading the passage, and really trying to do the work up front (understanding the passage, looking for any viewpoints or tone from the passage) before heading to the questions. Someone once told me for the LSAT the key is doing the work up front, and thats true for games (sometimes-when you can make inferences you should), LR (isolating the premise, conclusion, then seeing the assumptions, ect) and same thing for reading. Hope that helps but honestly it always depends with the passages you get.

• rationalbeingrationalbeing Free Trial Member
    19 karma

Thank you guys for the advice!!