Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeing my score: expectations vs reality

Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
edited November 2018 in General 454 karma

Were you disappointed when you saw your score? Do students tend to over-predict or under-predict there scores walking out of the test?

To be fair most people on this forum who have written multiple times probably did so because they did poorly the first time so we might have a bit of a confirmation bias here. But is there any consensus that students generally overestimate / underestimate there score on average?

Comments

• ---JEh------JEh--- Alum Member
    60 karma

Probably not a whole lot of consensus. I've heard about people experiencing all 3 situations, and I've also experienced all 3. Generally I can know within a couple of points, and I'm rarely overly surprised. It's probably best to analyze how you've felt personally vs how your scores have come up and compared those afterwards. Over time you can see how good your own intuitions on the matter really were.

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited November 2018 3652 karma

I felt good about my test but was also worried that I misbubbled since I did catch one q in my first section that I misbubbled. Ended up getting a couple points higher than my average. I’ve felt good about PTs before and bombed so I don’t think I had any sort of score intuition.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

When I walked out of the September test I had no idea what to think. On the morning of gray day I told my girlfriend that I was absolutely positive I had gotten a 169, and sure enough I had.

• PolemarchusPolemarchus Alum Member
    53 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    When I walked out of the September test I had no idea what to think. On the morning of gray day I told my girlfriend that I was absolutely positive I had gotten a 169, and sure enough I had.

I had a similar premonition of sorts. I had a dream I scored x, woke up, thought, “wow, wouldn’t it be nice if I really did score x,” and sure enough my inbox later that morning indicated I scored x.

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

@MissChanandler Congrats! 169 is by far the best score of the LSAT. People strive for a 170+, but 169 is the sweet spot.

• JaytrongJaytrong Alum Member
    54 karma

@"Simple Man" said:
    @MissChanandler Congrats! 169 is by far the best score of the LSAT. People strive for a 170+, but 169 is the sweet spot.

how so?

3256 karma

@Jaytrong I believe @"Simple Man" is making a 69 joke

Side note: this is now the second time I've had to explain a 69 joke on the 7sage forum. I'm either doing this whole forum thing wrong orrrrrr really right

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    454 karma

@MissChanandler said:
    @Jaytrong I believe @"Simple Man" is making a 69 joke

Side note: this is now the second time I've had to explain a 69 joke on the 7sage forum. I'm either doing this whole forum thing wrong orrrrrr really right

maybe that's not the reason Simple man said that. at all and you just have 69ing on the brain

this wait is so brutal I hate LSAC more for this than anything else

• Sam TylerSam Tyler Alum Member
    edited November 2018 454 karma

I recently wrote a best case/ worst worst case for each section and used that to estimate my score, and I also ended up with 169.

I then expanded that to a chart to something that I'm giving to my partner and friends, that explains my emotional reaction to different score, and suggests what we should do, they all involve drinking heavily

3256 karma

@"Sam Tyler" Well I guess we need @"Simple Man" to come tell us the truth hahaha

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

I knew I bombed LG (guessed on a full section of questions) so I knew it was unlikely I'd reach my goal score. When I got my score I was relieved that my LR and RC were both solid enough to carry my LG. I was happy for a week, but then I was disappointed because my LG kept me from a solid score in the 170s.

Now that I'm in law school, it doesn't matter that much to me. But part of me wishes I had retaken and gotten a score high enough for Columbia.

• Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
    448 karma

@MissChanandler @"Sam Tyler" @Jaytrong It was indeed a 69 joke. But who's to say that just because it's a joke doesn't mean it's true? To achieve a 169 is to know the LSAT on the most intimate of levels. I hope nobody would retake after achieving that score.