Query failed: connection to 172.31.3.4:9312 failed (errno=111, msg=Connection refused). When to thank recommender - 7Sage Forum

When to thank recommender

PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
in General 446 karma

LSAC notified me that one of my recommenders has submitted his LOR few days ago. Should I write that professor a thank you note right now or wait until I know the admission results? I kinda want to thank him now but don’t want to seem too kiss-assy either .. any advice?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would do both. I don't think it's too kiss assy at all. Send a short thank you note now and then you can follow up with them and let them know where you're going.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited November 2018 4850 karma

I sent all my recommenders an email thank you when they submitted, an update when I got my first acceptance, and I will send them all a coffee mug from my school of choice when I make my final decision.

Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker, Best way to wrap the mug for mailing?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@lsatplaylist That's a bridge I haven't crossed yet. I'm assuming the retailers will have decent idea of how to ship. At least that's what I'm hoping!

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

@MissChanandler
    @LSAT_Wrecker
    Hey you guys are really thoughtful! Thanks for the advice. I just sent my thank you note :smiley:

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I thanked my professors right away. I heard writing a reference through LSAC is kind of a b*tch (you have to make an account with them). I sent them a note and something special that is unique to them. For example, one of my professors has two border collies, so I sent him a nice note and a border collie watercolor.

I think a nice gesture would go a long way. :smile:

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    323 karma

I agree that it's very appropriate to send a "thank you" right away. They stopped whatever they were doing to sit down and write a recommendation for you; they deserve a thank you upon completion of a favor you asked of them. It doesn't matter if you get accepted or not. And when you do get accepted, a follow-up "thank you again for_____" with a status update would be very nice. I don't see how thanking someone for going out of their way to help you could ever be construed as kissing their ass.

@LSAT_Wrecker Awesome idea! I'm jumping on board with sending a gift.