Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

if/when to link up rules with biconditionals or when to just split game board?

youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
edited February 2018 in Logic Games 1755 karma

Hey all,

I just did LG Game #2 from PT 09, and in the game there are 2 biconditional rules and 2 conditional rules.

J <-> /K
N <-> /P
N -> L
Q -> K

JY does not combine the biconditional rules with the conditional rules, and instead just splits the GB based on the biconditionals.

Should we never combine biconditional rules with other rules?

Would appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks so much! :)

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9372 karma

In some cases, I think you should combine. If there is a question asking “not both” pairs, drawing J <—> /K —> /Q would make it easy for you to pick an answer choice J and Q.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    edited February 2018 8392 karma

@simplereally said:
    Hey all,

I just did LG Game #2 from PT 09, and in the game there are 2 biconditional rules and 2 conditional rules.

J <-> /K
    N <-> /P
    N -> L
    Q -> K

JY does not combine the biconditional rules with the conditional rules, and instead just splits the GB based on the biconditionals.

Should we never combine biconditional rules with other rules?

Would appreciate any feedback/advice. Thanks so much! :)

Yes, you definitely can chain up biconditionals. Like, those would be:

J <-->/K --> /Q

The other one would be trickier though. It's more like you split off of N in directions. Because if you do the contrapositive of /L --> /N then it doesn't link up to N <--> /P. You would have to make 2 lines going away from N to represent both N --> L and N <--> /P. This is a lot easier to do if I could write it out instead of type it hahaha.

(ETA: tried to visually represent this, didn't work out. Deleted the mess haha.)

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

The game board splitting is really just a unique thing to each game. I'm not looking at that one specifically right now, so don't see what JY did. But as a rule, yes it is possible to link up biconditionals.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

thanks for the advice/feedback! :) @"Leah M B" @akistotle