Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When to thank recommender

PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
in General 446 karma

LSAC notified me that one of my recommenders has submitted his LOR few days ago. Should I write that professor a thank you note right now or wait until I know the admission results? I kinda want to thank him now but don’t want to seem too kiss-assy either .. any advice?

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I would do both. I don't think it's too kiss assy at all. Send a short thank you note now and then you can follow up with them and let them know where you're going.

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    edited November 2018 4850 karma

I sent all my recommenders an email thank you when they submitted, an update when I got my first acceptance, and I will send them all a coffee mug from my school of choice when I make my final decision.

Good luck!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@LSAT_Wrecker, Best way to wrap the mug for mailing?

• LSAT_WreckerLSAT_Wrecker Member
    4850 karma

@lsatplaylist That's a bridge I haven't crossed yet. I'm assuming the retailers will have decent idea of how to ship. At least that's what I'm hoping!

• PeaceofmindPeaceofmind Alum Member
    446 karma

@MissChanandler
    @LSAT_Wrecker
    Hey you guys are really thoughtful! Thanks for the advice. I just sent my thank you note :smiley:

• teamteamvicsterteamteamvicster Alum Member
    774 karma

I thanked my professors right away. I heard writing a reference through LSAC is kind of a b*tch (you have to make an account with them). I sent them a note and something special that is unique to them. For example, one of my professors has two border collies, so I sent him a nice note and a border collie watercolor.

I think a nice gesture would go a long way. :smile:

• SupernoviceSupernovice Alum Member
    323 karma

I agree that it's very appropriate to send a "thank you" right away. They stopped whatever they were doing to sit down and write a recommendation for you; they deserve a thank you upon completion of a favor you asked of them. It doesn't matter if you get accepted or not. And when you do get accepted, a follow-up "thank you again for_____" with a status update would be very nice. I don't see how thanking someone for going out of their way to help you could ever be construed as kissing their ass.

@LSAT_Wrecker Awesome idea! I'm jumping on board with sending a gift.