Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What do you all do about "MISC" games?

lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
in Logic Games 938 karma

Hi all-

I'm in the middle of full-proofing, and sometimes I come across a game that's categorized as "MISC" and they always give me a really hard time. How have you all approached these type of games? Do they get easier as I finish full-proofing? (I'm only on section 5 of 35)

Thanks.

Comments

• CantStopWontStopCantStopWontStop Alum Member
    1270 karma

They get easier. Misc games still play on the fundamentals. Hey good at the fundamentals and you will be better prepared at handling misc games

• btownsqueebtownsquee Alum Member
    1207 karma

I agree with @Nov2018Taker. I also treat those games as chances to minimize the bleeding: I try to get as many questions correct in a time efficient manner. Those questions usually have ~5 questions. If I can get at least 2 or 3 of them right, I'd end up with not as much damage done. It's great practice for not panicking on test day.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    edited November 2018 261 karma

It sounds trite, but the best way to tackle MISC games is by thinking really hard and truly understanding how the game operates. Once you understand the game (what's happening in it, what the rules are), you can put together your own unique gameboard to deal with the situation. It often helps just writing something down.

And, of course, foolproofing. Not all Misc games are alike, but many are similar in certain respects. As you increase your ability to think logically and make inferences in games through foolproofing, you'll find that these games are actually quite easy, insofar as they test your fundamentals and don't require too much heavy lifting aside from the initial shock factor of the game itself.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Agreed with all the above. The only thing you really can do is work on your fundamentals and get good at all types of games. And then when you get a misc game, you have tools to improvise with. There are usually elements of sequencing or grouping in the misc games. I think it's more of a mindset thing than anything else; don't fret too much about being able to fit a game into a specific category. Just focus on building a game board that is clear and logical. Your boards may or may not always look like JY's. You just need it to be precise and functional.

But kind of like the "...with a twist" games, you have to tweak things to work for each specific scenario. In fact, the "with a twist" games may be good to practice for misc games as well, because I feel like those usually require some improvising. You just have to get out of the mindset that LGs are cookie cutter and learn to attack the material that you have.

• MindyKaleMindyKale Alum Member
    350 karma

I asked something similar on the forum and this is the advice I got. I thought it was helpful.

https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/18005/how-to-not-get-frazzled-when-we-see-a-hard-logic-game-on-the-test

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

I don't think there's any specific thing you can do. You just have to build up your LG instincts which comes over time. Ultimately, even if it isn't so easily categorized as Grouping, In/Out, sequencing, it's going to have those ideas in there somewhere. It's just that the game board won't be so clear cut. I think all you can do is keep practicing, and just expect that you're going to have to think outside the box at some point. I personally have a lot of fun in these games and don't struggle with them.

• lennono88lennono88 Member
    105 karma

Sh** myself, mostly

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    edited November 2018 938 karma

Thanks, all. Great feed back - especially from @lennono88