Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Diversity statement

as someone who is not ethnically or socioeconomically diverse is it inappropriate to write a diversity statement?
either:
- about having a chronic autoimmune disease that has required multiple surgeries and regular hospitalization?
- coming from a computer science background

Comments

• nathanieljschwartznathanieljschwartz Alum Member
    1723 karma

hey, I am sorry to hear about your medical condition. many schools have a prompt for an optional essay, you can definitely submit it there. many schools also allow for a diversity statement that is left open ended, meaning that you can write about anything that may add to the diversity of the campus. if you can explain how your condition has affected you and made you diverse I think it may be fine. I believe there are only a few schools such as NYU that specify that the diversity statement has to be addressing URM status. 7sage has a guide to the requirements for schools which is a great resource.

Nate

• David BusisDavid Busis Member Moderator
    7292 karma

Yes! I'd write one about the auto-immune disease. They'll see CS background in your transcript and résumé.

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

I’d write about the computer science background. CompSci and STEM are hot tickets right now in the growing and expanding fields of tech law and IP law.