Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Going from low 160s to 170s

redshiftredshift Alum Member
in General 261 karma

Hey guys. So I got my November LSAT results back, and scored a ~163. I’m content with the score, having only studied 2 months so far, but feel that I can do better. I want a score in the 170s.

My situation is a bit different as I’m already going -0 on games. My weak areas are in Logical Reasoning and Reading Comp. For LR, I’m going around -7 per section, and for RC, I’m going -5.

Any advice on how to shore up LR and RC for the January administration? Should I just keep taking practice tests and BR, or should I go back to the Core Curriculum for a few weeks before starting a heavy PT cycle?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2803 karma

Congrats on your November score!! While you still have room to improve, that is an awesome score and you should be very proud. I scored a 166 in November but had a little bit different break down. I went -6 LR, -4 LG and -5 RC. Before November I had similar LR numbers to how you did.

My biggest piece of advice would be to find a study partner who is scoring around your level and BR with them. There are tremendous benefits to talking out LR questions and really going through why ACs are right or wrong. Additionally, it helped to deeply dive into argument structure and think about how you would approach a stimulus if the stem was different. For example practice turning a weakening stimulus into a strengthening or a Sufficient or Necessary Assumption. Also try to see if you are missing a certain type of question and look to go back to the CC and drill that question type. Hopefully this helps and best of luck moving forward!!

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

Thanks for the congratulations and for the comment! Congrats to you as well, 166 is awesome.

I like your idea of identifying questions I've gotten wrong and drilling them. I haven't really incorporated this into my studies, but it makes sense. Consistently writing PTs without taking the time to drill weaknesses away is just reinforcing bad habits.