Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Canadian Law School Admissions LSAT deadlines

Hi folks, I just wanted to know what specifically are the reasons why many Canadian law schools "encourage" you to have your November LSAT as the last LSAT you take? is this due to rolling admissions? if so, how much more of an advantage do you really have not doing the January LSAT - potentially increasing your score (sorry for the long question).

Comments

• katrinagkkatrinagk Alum Member
    65 karma

It is because of the rolling admissions, so there are just less spots to give out. I applied this cycle to only Canadian schools and am writing the January test. I think the rationale is that anyone who submits Nov. as their final score essentially is put in the same pool as the people who wrote earlier and already had their final score to report prior to the admissions deadline. I think it depends on your Nov. score and the rest of your application to evaluate whether it would be "worth it" or not. If you're already a strong applicant and want to make it stronger I wouldn't worry about it. I know a lot of people currently at Osgoode, U of A, and U of T who wrote Sept, Nov., and Jan. It definitely isn't a deal breaker or they wouldn't allow it.

I'm not sure which school you're hoping for, but I spoke to the admissions people at U of T and they say they only count an increase as "significant" if it is +5 or more. So if you think you will be able to score 5 points higher I would say for sure go for it. Like I said, I'm in the same boat, already submitted and am writing January.

• LSATislandLSATisland Free Trial Inactive Sage
    1878 karma

Hi @VDH_dee5 I would assume it's due to rolling admissions, and the consequent advantage would likely depend on scores. Personally, I applied to Ontario law schools very late (mistakenly thinking deadlines were the same as U.S. law schools) but thankfully it all worked it. Please feel free to PM me if I could help with anything.