Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[closed] URM (Black Male) Realistic Chances on Improving Scores

JayMulahJayMulah Core Member
edited December 2018 in Law School Admissions 51 karma

I currently go to UC San Diego and took 20 units this past quarter while studying for the LSAT for about 2months(ish) and scored a 143 with little to no sleep before the night of the exam (insomnia) I took around.. 1-2 practice exams with no Blind Review at all, kind of just went in and hoped for the best (I know I’m stupid; However I did Volunteer work for a US House Member and worked full time). This time around I’ll be studying for a month with 7sage as well as an in-class prep course offered by my University.

I’ve read online that the average score for URM (Black Males) at T-14 schools is a 159

My stats:
I'm a first-generation Black Male
Born in Brooklyn, New York raised in the SF Bay Area (Grew Up in Rough neighborhoods, Gangs, Drugs, Violence)
I speak French (Parents are Political Refugees from the Ivory Coast; Left during the War)
Father has wrote books; has a Doctorate Degree from a Univeristy in Milan, Italy
Father left mother in Middle School; (Single Mother)
Interships one in Sacramento and one canvasing for Congressman Mike Levin

With roughly 5 weeks before my exam do any of you believe that I can score a 157 if I take this seriously.

I’ve heard of people going to 140 to 160’s but with the time constraint I’m affected by as well as the impact of soft factors on my application and the presitge of my current University I believe that a 157 could help me. Do any of you believe that high 150’s is a realistic goal?

– Thanks!

Comments

• BumblebeeBumblebee Member
    edited December 2018 640 karma

Hi! 157 is achievable!
    But it will likely take more than a few months to achieve this score. Going through the CC alone should take at least two months for materials to sink in and afterwards, you need to engage in a full PrepTest phase during which you work on applying CC concepts under time constraint and thoroughly Blind Review your test. This phase should take at least two months. It usually takes many PTs until you become comfortable taking the exam.
    It is also recommended to foolproof LG from PT1~35 to maximize gains in this section. Foolproofing requires much work and takes a couple of months to do in its own right, outside the time put into PTing and CC.

It may be a really good idea to consider delaying this cycle and work on achieving 157. It is really important to take the exam when you are ready. Being ready means your PT average is right around or slightly above your goal score when you take the real exam.
    Please take advantage of your potential by investing in the necessary time to attain your goal score. You can do it!!

• studentservicestudentservice Alum Member Administrator Moderator Student Services
    1421 karma
This discussion has been closed.