Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does it Look Bad to Reapply after Being Accepted ?

Qualia88Qualia88 Alum Member
in General 175 karma

I unfortunately underachieved on my November LSAT. Realistically I think I'm going to be looking at waiting until next cycle, but I've been advised to throw a few applications at a couple of T-14 reach schools as there isn't much of a downside. My one worry is that I'm interested in public interest work and so was hoping to get some scholarships. The prospect of paying sticker price isn't super appealing and I'm worried that even if I do beat the odds and get in the money still might not make sense this cycle. My question is, how much would it hurt your chances next cycle to be admitted somewhere but decide not to go and then reapply? I was advised that as long as you wrote them a nice note it shouldn't be a big deal but I can't help but thinking a school might look sideways at you if you were to reapply after already getting in. Any insight is appreciated.

Comments

• akistotleakistotle Member 🍌🍌
    9377 karma

Usually, if you withdraw, it's unlikely you'll get admitted next cycle. But there are people who get accepted again, so it really depends.

I recommend asking this question in the admissions office hours on Wednesday, Jan 2:
    https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/18349/admissions-office-hours-on-wednesdays-at-9-p-m-et-next-is-jan-2-2019

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Will any schools let you defer for a year?

• Nah.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I'll let you know at the end of this cycle 😂. I'm re-applying this year. I got mostly wait lists last year, but did withdraw from several schools that accepted me and I plan to apply to again. I only had a conversation specifically with the dean of admissions about this at UCLA, as they are one of my top choices. He told me that it's no problem, they wouldn't look negatively on it at all. Is it possible he was just telling me that to be nice? Yes, sure. I figure you only really know once you do it.

I sort of regret applying last year. I put in my applications pretty late and, as I mentioned, got wait listed at most schools. I'm rolling the dice on withdrawing and re-applying, but felt that it would only be in my best interest. I've spoken to a handful of people that did a similar thing and said, for the most part, they didn't receive any real push back from schools that they were accepted to, and then re-applied to. There were a couple of schools that gave a bit less in scholarship money the 2nd time. But otherwise, they didn't see any real penalties. I'm hoping for the same, but will post my thoughts on it toward the end of the cycle.

Hope some of that helps!