Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When do you hear about merit scholarships?

Kyle....Kyle.... Alum Member

Hi all --

I was very surprised / excited to find my first acceptance letter waiting for me after returning home from the holidays (yay!). However, the letter makes no mention of any kind of scholarship opportunities. Can anyone shed light on whether merit scholarships are generally included in an initial acceptance letter, or if that's something you might often hear about at a later date? Also, it was weird that I received the physical acceptance letter but the online status-checker continues to show no movement.

Thanks!
Kyle

Comments

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

First, congrats!!

Second, every school is different. Some tell you in your initial acceptance letter, some have a separate application that you fill out after you are accepted. Usually there's information included in the acceptance materials (next steps, etc). If you're not sure, it's ok to e-mail or call admissions and ask (although I might also do a look around the website first to see if there is any information, like references to a separate scholarship application and such).

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Law school admissions offices operate differently, and while one school as a general policy will award the first round of merit scholarships with the admit letter, another may make scholarship decisions separately at a specific later date. When in doubt, you can call the admissions office directly and politely ask if award letters are being sent at a later date.

Some admissions offices prefer to notify candidates of their acceptance with an official letter by mail, an email, a telephone call, or some combination, and NOT by electronic status checker. It really depends on each individual school's notification policy.

-Selene

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

I was just looking into this for georgetown and one recently admitted student said they received their scholarship info 3 weeks after applying. It varies.

• haashbrown95haashbrown95 Alum Member
    16 karma

I've received scholarship information from schools anywhere between a week and a month from when I got the initial acceptance notice. Really just depends on the school and your particular situation. Good luck!

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    edited January 2019 2531 karma

Generally within 3 weeks after acceptance :)