Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Strictly is Early Admission Enforced

Hi All,

I have been accepted to NYU Law early admission; however, I received a pretty tempting 'invitation to apply' emails from Yale.

How strictly is the early admission enforced? Can I still apply to Yale? Will it jeopardize my offer from NYU?

Thanks,

WD

Comments

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

It's binding, so if u want Yale, you will have to withdraw your NYU admission and reapply next cycle.

http://www.law.nyu.edu/jdadmissions/applicants/applications

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    3652 karma

Yale sends that email out to a lot of people. I got it too and my stats are barely median for t12 so there’s no reason for Yale to be sending that to me. You can’t even withdraw from NYU, you signed a contract agreeing to attend NYU this cycle.

Congrats on the acceptance!

• _oshun1__oshun1_ Alum Member
    edited January 2019 3652 karma

Update after reading that above link I guess the only consequence of not withdrawing your apps from other schools/applying to other schools is “Failure to honor these commitments will result in New York University School of Law revoking its offer of admission.”
    So if you don’t want to attend NYU then yeah apply to Yale.

• eRetakereRetaker Free Trial Member
    2043 karma

Agreed with @oshun1 , Yale is a long long shot for anyone and the emails are most likely marketing. You are already in a very good position with NYU so definitely not worth imho to lose it for a minuscule shot at Yale. Lastly, there must have been a reason you applied to NYU ED in the first place.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, what @oshun1 said. Except also, this line is in the ED contract:

"Responding to the request of some peer law schools, New
    York University School of Law will provide these schools with the
    names of all applicants accepted to the New York University
    School of Law under our binding Early Decision program."

An unknown number of other schools have been notified of your acceptance at NYU. In my opinion, it would be not be wise to back out of it and apply elsewhere. Even if NYU can't enforce any other repercussions (besides withdrawing your offer of admission, which they certainly will), I have serious doubt another law school that knows you backed out of a binding offer will be chomping at the bit to accept you. It's a bad look.

And yeah... those Yale emails are a marketing tool. That really does not tell you the odds of being accepted there. It's like a fee waiver, but without the financial incentive.

• JPJ July2021JPJ July2021 Core Member
    1532 karma

It's strictly enforced. Sometimes you can get out of it if you withdraw your app before a decision is rendered but that ship has sailed. Applying to Yale will absolutely jeopardize your acceptance from NYU. Top schools typically share their ED admits with each other so Yale could see that you already have a binding acceptance, which jeopardizes both your Yale app and your NYU acceptance. I know it's not what you want to hear, but if you're having second thoughts and no longer wish to attend NYU, you would have to wait and reapply next cycle.

• redshiftredshift Alum Member
    261 karma

I don't want to be that guy, but you really shouldn't have applied early to NYU if you weren't 100% dead set on attending. You made a commitment to the school, and the fact that you're so eager to drop out of that commitment because another better offer may come your way shows that you applied early solely for the purposes of boosting your odds at admission. This character trait - not honoring your commitments - will likely not look good to Yale, especially considering that NYU probably shared information about your ED acceptance to them. If you do apply, you'll have to forgo your NYU acceptance, and it is likely that you'll walk away with rejections from both schools. Yale because they'll know from NYU that you reneged on an early admissions acceptance, and NYU because you broke a contract. I wouldn't risk it.

• buckmartinbuckmartin Alum Member
    91 karma

Did you particularly want to go to NYU or was it just a decision based on ranking and offers made?