Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another scholly negotiation question

doyeradoyera Alum Member

I've read a lot of advice online - people saying that the best time to negotiate is right after the seat deposit deadline. Problem is I'm between two schools and one of them has a $500 non-refundable, which is pretty steep for me. Is it worth it to try a week or two before the deadline?

Comments

• Seeking PerfectionSeeking Perfection Alum Member
    4423 karma

I think this is where it turns into a judgement call.

I'm trying to negotiate before the deadline because I don't think my negotiation will actually work and my decision is pretty clear cut in the absence of a scholarship increase. I sent my negotiation email Tuesday night.

If you think there is a pretty good chance of getting an increased discount though which is made meaningfully better by waiting, that $500 will look like a really good investment when you get a scholarship increase in the thousands.

It is also probably more likely to be worth it if you have two options you consider comprable at their current prices since if you can get either side to budge, then your negotiation will work out.

Additionally, while those deposits are not usually enforceably binding, I felt that for me it would be awkward to try to negotiate after depositing. I would still do it, but I felt more confident doing it before depositing.

• doyeradoyera Alum Member
    47 karma

Thanks for the advice and good luck with your negotiations. I decided to go for it and just sent mine as well. I'm sweating bullets right now because a 'Yes' would make my decision sooooo much easier and one less thing to stress about for a little bit.

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    231 karma

@doyera how did it work for you?

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Depending on the school and how the current cycle is going for them, the school may not be aggressive about following up with admitted students who fail to deposit. They might follow up with a "hey you missing the deposit deadline, what is going on?" or "hey you didn't deposit? here is some more money so deposit now!" or they might just let you go and not pursue you. It really depends. If you can't put down two deposits, you should reach out before the deposit deadline and try to initiate a conversation about reevaluating your current merit award.