Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does the word "Appealing to" mean?

LSATer2019LSATer2019 Alum Member

Hey everyone! Quick question... What does "appealing to evidence" exactly mean? Does it mean you're using evidence? I can't figure the exact definition of appeal.

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    edited March 2019 2804 karma

Merriam Webster states that one meaning is "to arouse sympathetic response" (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/appeal)

I think this is pretty good. In your example "appealing" to evidence would mean that evidence is what you point to in support of your statement. So appealing is almost like using something as a premise, just like you said. Appealing to relevant authority would be using a relevant authorities' mantle to arouse a sympathetic response. For example: JY said the best way to master games is to use the foolproof method. Therefore it must be so. In this example I appealed to JY's status as an LSAT expert.

My take could be a little off and there might be a more technical definition, but hopefully this helps a little!