Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need quick advice!

Simple ManSimple Man Alum Member
edited April 2019 in Law School Admissions 448 karma

Help! Seat deposits are due in 4 days and I am at a lost. I have narrowed it down to two schools, but am having trouble deciding where to go. I could use some input or advice.

School 1:
Full Ride, but in a not-so-fun location. Have a two year option available, but it isn't guaranteed. It has a good program for what I want to do, and is regionally close to where I want to practice. It starts in August which would give me more time to save up before matriculation, but assuming I am able to complete the two year track, I would be finishing up school and studying for the July bar at the same time.

School 2:
Great scholarship, but with inflation would put me 20-30K in the hole. It is in a much better location fun wise, with plenty to offer recreationally. It is not regionally close to where I would like to practice. Has a two year program that is guaranteed. It starts in May which would put me in debt that much faster. However, I would finish in May and have those free months to focus exclusively on the July bar and maybe do an internship.

Both schools are just about equal in ranking, bar passage rates, and employment. Given my two year track, I don't know if having fun options is as big a deal if I am studying 24/7.

Where should I go!? Any and all input is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

My future is in your hands...
  1. Where should I go?18 votes
    1. School 1
      77.78%
    2. School 2
      22.22%

Comments

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

If the schools are about the same, I would take the FR

• OhnoeshalpmeOhnoeshalpme Alum Member
    2531 karma

it depends on employment outcomes. If outcomes are bleak then go $0 if they are strong then the second option is much better.

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Yeah, agree a lot with @Ohnoeshalpme. If these schools are only so-so on employment, then having the least debt is the best plan. I would also look very carefully at where they place graduates too. If you are dead-set on working in a specific region, then it is almost always best to go to school in that area. If school 2 does not have many graduates placing in the region you want, doesn't bring employers from that area in for OCI, etc then school 1 with the less debt and geographic placement is the best way to go.

• NJBorg894NJBorg894 Free Trial Member
    11 karma

I personally wouldn’t want to go in to debt for a more desirable/fun place to live. Especially, if you’re looking at an accelerated program where you’ll most likely to spend your entire waking time there studying. But that’s just me! I guess I’m also bias since I’m paying off undergrad debt.

You mention the 2nd choice isn’t regionally close to where you want to practice which definitely makes me say choice 1! My cousin finished LS a few years back at a school with a good rating, and where employment rate was pretty high, but was further away from where he wanted to practice which really hindered his employment/networking opportunities. After an extensive job search, he landed a job at a small firm in an area where he wanted to practice for about a year. After a year, he ended up changing directions and opening up a restaurant ha ha. To each their own...

Good luck with your decision! I’m just now beginning the process and am taking the LSAT in September. I’ve got a long road ahead, but am looking forward and hoping for the day when I hopefully have some good offers to choose from!

• MIT_2017MIT_2017 Alum Member
    470 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    If these schools are only so-so on employment, then having the least debt is the best plan. I would also look very carefully at where they place graduates too. If you are dead-set on working in a specific region, then it is almost always best to go to school in that area....

Unless you're talking about T14 schools, then what Leah said here is exactly right.