Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help! Where Do I Go?!

I need some advice on where I should put my deposit money. My goal is to work in immigration law, and I've got no strong feeling one way or another about where I want practice, but I do not want to feel limited. I've received a full ride from Indiana (they've extended their deadline for me), Illinois, and Wisconsin. I've been offered $30,000 a year from Minnesota. I know that Minnesota has a lot of options for those interested in immigration, however the price tag scares me. I'll be paying for law school all on my own, I'm out of state, and I've already got to worry about $30,000 in undergraduate loans. Is Minnesota worth the extra debt, or should I take the full ride at a different school?

Comments

• mjmonte17mjmonte17 Alum Member
    757 karma

I live in Indiana and IU would be a good option, Bloomington is a nice little town. At least for me, no debt = peace of mind

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

Do you have an estimate of what your total out of pocket cost of attendance would be? Are you paying for COL with loans or savings? That could have an effect, and of course COL varies by school.

• bengel21-1-1-1-1-1-1bengel21-1-1-1-1-1-1 Alum Member
    10 karma

@"Leah M B" said:
    Do you have an estimate of what your total out of pocket cost of attendance would be? Are you paying for COL with loans or savings? That could have an effect, and of course COL varies by school.

Given the COL and other expenses (books and what not) I'd be looking at spending about $18,000/year at Indiana, $22,000/year at Wisconsin, $23,000/year at Illinois, and $42,000/year at Minnesota. I'd have to take out loans for everything, unfortunately. While Indiana will be the least expensive, I'm struggling with deciding if skipping out on a Top 20 school will benefit me in the long run.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Where have you visited?

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

I'd maybe find data on how many students are able to keep their financial awards from one year to the next.

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    edited April 2019 426 karma

Reiterating what @lsatplaylist said above.

If you haven't already, look at each school's 509 report to see what percent of students have their scholly reduced/or taken away.

Also look into what their requirements are for keeping the scholly, like, is it maintaining just good academic standing (not failing)? Or is it a 3.0? Cause sometimes the curve is set below a 3.0. It would help to factor those points into your calculus.

• john1234-1john1234-1 Alum Member
    edited April 2019 426 karma

Also consider where you want to live and practice. If you want to practice in WI, a degree from UW will allow you to bypass the bar exam (aka diploma privilege).