Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Strategy to get 5 points?

worrelacworrelac Alum Member

Hi all-- I am new to the community, but thought I would post my current struggle to see what great advice you all may have!

I scored a 158 on my first LSAT last September, and then with the help of the 7Sage LG videos, I scored a 165 in November. I have decided to try one last time this July to breach the 170s. I missed 3 on RC, 3 on LG, 4 on the first LR, and 7 on the second LR, on my 165 LSAT. I have decided to try to perfect the LR sections as closely as I can, but I keep missing 3-4 and 6-7 on each practice LR section that I do (started studying again about 2 weeks ago with the CC, and practice-testing this past week).

Any advice on how I can narrow down my LR missed questions? Or any advice on how to get that 5 point jump in general?

Thanks a million, and keep up the hard work!

Comments

• Mario RoboMario Robo Alum Member
    266 karma

First, its very important to do LR questions untimed. Keep doing that until you can get it to perfect, then usually people can cut down their mistakes timed.

• worrelacworrelac Alum Member
    8 karma

@"Mario Robo" brilliant-- I have only been doing timed sections. Thanks!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    edited June 2019 2227 karma

I agree that it is important to do them untimed at first, but eventually timed sections is the way to go. You will still see the questions untimed during BR, and should never check answers until you have spent enough time with a question to understand completely the argument structure, the reason why the correct answer is correct, and the reasons why the incorrect answers are incorrect.

Make sure your mechanics are down first, then apply those techniques under timed conditions.

Edit: If you've already scored a 165 on record, you should probably just do all timed stuff with extremely thorough BR. You can go back to the CC and do untimed questions for any particular question types you struggle with.

8 karma

@drbrown2 that does sound like a more focused strategy than just general untimed practice. I've already started untimed review of my weakest questions types. Any tips on how to be more thorough in my BR? Thanks!

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

Sure!

For LR, first ID the question type, label the stimulus parts, and do your best pre-phrase of what is wrong with the argument or what is being disagreed about or what inferences you can make depending on the question type. For each answer, write out your analysis of what is right/wrong. For parallel questions you should anticipate what the correct answer should say, and when the incorrect answers veer off course you can "correct them." Write out what it needed to say to be correct. For conditional logic, map it out. For convoluted language, write out a summary in simplified language.

RC is even more intense, as you should write out the paragraph summaries (low res/high res), the Main Point, the tone, the purpose of the passage, the various viewpoints, and the structural layout of the passage before reviewing the question types. Reviewing RC untimed and writing out those structural details helps you notice those details more under timed conditions, which makes the questions easier and faster.

LG you should fool proof each new game, but before looking up the video explanation try setting up the games in different ways and splitting up game boards on different split nodes.

After your section/PT is BR'd, watch the video explanations and star any questions you think are important to return to and learn from. You can comment on the questions and look at other people's comments to see if there are things you missed or things unexplained in the video.

On your days off address any areas of weakness with drills.

8 karma

@drbrown2 very thorough (pun intended...), thanks!

• cqas190517cqas190517 Alum Member 🍌
    535 karma

I actually started using the Khan Academy program that LSAC offers to increase a few points as well, and I really like it. You need to break out of your current methods somehow and shake things up to get over your plateau. I thought that it’s be cheesy or incompletely before i started it, but it’s pretty comprehensive and I like the way it personalizes the drills and gives analytics.