Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Applying to Law School before taking the LSAT

a.grugrua.grugru Alum Member

I will be taking the November LSAT. Can I apply to schools before this once the applications are out? Or do I have to wait until I actually sit for the exam? Thanks!

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

You can work on other parts of the application and have your essays and resume uploaded, but you shouldn’t submit until your score is posted. The schools won’t review until you go complete, which means you will need a score on record and all other parts of the application finished. No benefit from submitting early if the schools won’t review it.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

If you don't already have an LSAT score as part of your application (the November test is your first test score), then your application is not considered complete and the admissions committee will not review your file until the November result is received. You have two choices at this point: (1) Submit an incomplete application and wait for your score to arrive or (2) wait until you get your score and then submit your application.
    Why would anyone choose to submit an incomplete application and have it sit in a database? Some people want the assurance from the admissions office or application status checker that ALL the necessary documents that the candidate could submit, have been submitted and the only thing left before review is receipt of the LSAT score (which is sent directly to the school by LSAC anyway). Good luck!

• 187 karma

There is a benefit in completing the application despite the fact that the schools will not examine your app.

You have the ability to get the transcripts, LOR's, etc. all done while not under any time constraints. If you have any delays during the process it can be handled without the increased pressure associated with meeting the app. deadline.