Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAC Imposing Limits On Number of LSAT Retakes

lulululu Alum Member
in General 91 karma

Has anyone heard about the possible changes of the retake policy? I read a reddit post today (https://www.reddit.com/r/lawschooladmissions/comments/bzl6ku/lsac_imposing_limits_on_number_of_lsat_retakes/) and called the LSAC. They said that these changes can be implemented after the July Test.

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

I watched a video on youtube by the guy who does the LSAT unplugged videos, he was talking about the danger of the LSAT having to recycle old questions and/or tests (undisclosed tests) because of the amount of times they offer it now. The test limit takes could be because they are planning to do that.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

So based off of what I read, its basically back to the old rule. You can take the test up to 3 times up to a 12 month period then it resets but not many people will be taking LSAT tests years apart so you only have 3 chances.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited June 2019 1866 karma

@cooljon525 It seems more restricted than that: 3x in a year, 5x in five years, and 7x lifetime.

• youbbyunyoubbyun Alum Member
    1755 karma

Wait is this retroactive?

1755 karma

@lulu so if u already took 2 this past year, do u only have 1 more take allowed for this year?

• TeaLoverTeaLover Alum Member
    151 karma

Wondering if the limits will start fresh or include past takes?

I am panicked since I have already taken it 3 times...

• lulululu Alum Member
    91 karma

@username_hello I think so... but it seems that the July test doesn’t count towards any of the limits

1755 karma

@lulu wait really?? did you confirm that with LSAC?

so if someone took the January, March, and June of the test, they can't take the test for the rest of the year? What if they've already payed for the September and October tests and have been studying?

• lulululu Alum Member
    91 karma

@username_hello I am not sure if this is going to be retroactive. Sorry, I should have said "I guess so..." The LSAC only said that they just discussed the changes and it is possible that these changes will be implemented.

• ExcludedMiddleExcludedMiddle Alum Member
    737 karma

@TeaLover said:
    Wondering if the limits will start fresh or include past takes?

I am panicked since I have already taken it 3 times...

Unfair if so, given a lot of people likely would've been more careful about when they took an official test if they hadn't made it seem unlimited.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

Ill be shocked if they implement this. The LSAT is a money scheme. If anything I feel like they would be happy if everyone took the test 10 times.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited June 2019 2689 karma

Just told my spouse about this. He responded, "What? They don't like money?"
    Pretty much my response, too. It's very frustrating. IF it's retroactive, I hope there is a class suit of some kind (although I'm sure there's a reason why that would be impossible; it's LSAC after all). It's cruel to tell people there is no limit, let them believe that, and then change your minds later. Completely misleading.
    Had I known they were going to go "backsies", I wouldn't have taken it a second time while I was trying to juggle school. Silly me, believing them.

• MambaMentality93MambaMentality93 Live Member
    503 karma

That would really messed up if this rule ends up being retroactive. They can't change the rule in the middle of a race, it wouldn't be fair! I predict a bunch of people starting to take the GRE!

2689 karma

@TChalla said:
    I predict a bunch of people starting to take the GRE!

Yeah.. Why take the LSAT if they change the rules all the time? GRE, for those not stuck in LSATs, would probably be the safer bet.

Wouldn't put it past LSAC to make it retroactive, but I think it's more likely that they'll enforce this starting with the September LSAT (after they've officially switched over to digital).

• ProfileNameProfileName Core Member
    edited June 2019 154 karma

Does a cancelled score/test included??

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

For all those questioning the specifics, I don't believe this has been officially announced by LSAC quite yet. I think we have to wait for this to become official before we know whether it applies retroactively for this cycle or whether cancellations count.

1866 karma

It’s official now—just got the email. Only the 180 ban is being applied retroactively, all the other take limits are being applied starting with the September 2019 administration.

• vichinskyvichinsky Alum Member
    503 karma

I can't find any information in it.

• Super SaiyanSuper Saiyan Member
    edited June 2019 112 karma

If you are registered for any tests from July onwards, you should be receiving an email about it. I got mine. It says that the policy is not retroactive. I just wonder how admissions committees will now view people who may fall close to or outside of those limits if they end up applying in August/September. I hope they're not going to institute the averaging policy again.

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    @cooljon525 It seems more restricted than that: 3x in a year, 5x in five years, and 7x lifetime.

Counting for five years and life time is from the september test, correct?

@hihihi9993 said:

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@hihihi9993 Yep

• hihihi9993hihihi9993 Member
    342 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@hihihi9993 said:

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

@hihihi9993 Yep

Thank you!!!!!!!!!! (Sobbing)

• Well I'm depressed now..... Thank LSAC

• 246 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:
    It’s official now—just got the email. Only the 180 ban is being applied retroactively, all the other take limits are being applied starting with the September 2019 administration.

Just out of curiosity, Why would anyone retake a 180?

@"Better every day" said:

@"Habeas Porpoise" said:

Just out of curiosity, Why would anyone retake a 180?

@"Better every day" I think the only people who would retake a 180 are people working for test prep companies/test prep consultants that want to gain access to undisclosed questions. Pretty sketchy, but it's an issue with the SAT and ACT (Here's an article about it: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/answer-sheet/wp/2016/03/01/college-board-moves-to-stop-test-prep-providers-from-taking-new-sat-on-march-5/).
    With the increase in the number of administrations, and the fact that the LSAC reuses questions from undisclosed tests, I guess it's a valid concern.

Another reason could be so a test prep consultant could charge higher fees because they got a 180 on the test X number of times, or something like that.

Just a theory, but I can't really think of any other good reason for the ban.

2689 karma

Yep. Got my letter today too. I am relieved, but also, I feel it is still a dumb move. "It only impacts 1% of test takers." Well, then what's your problem with leaving it open and unlimited? Anyway, onwards and upwards, friends! We've got studying to do.

• Super SaiyanSuper Saiyan Member
    edited June 2019 112 karma

The only thing I hate that they did here is that they've kind of attached a stigma to multiple takes. Due to their UNLIMITED take policy and the motto of take it as many times as you need to to get the score you're after, they kind of marred the testing record of people coming into this new policy with 3+ or more takes... Obviously, you should still try to knock it out of the park on the first try, but I thought this whole unlimited policy in conjunction with 6 administrations a year was an attempt at eliminating barriers to entry. It just seems they keep flip flopping on what their definition of "fairness" is.