Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Morning stress for night owls

akitagogoakitagogo Alum Member
in General 89 karma

Hi peeps, I've been having big fluctuations in my PT performance. I'm a night owl, and have been forcing myself to get up early (and go to bed earlier) to start doing tests from 9:30am. I've also done tests in the afternoon, when I'm less stressed and more awake, the highest and lowest difference would be 165-153. I feel that even though I can get up even earlier in the morning and prepare for the test, the general stress I feel in the morning is just much worse. (I guess morning isn't really for me.) How can I manage/control my mornings better as a night owl?

Comments

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

One possibility: You'll have to start getting up extra early so that the morning test becomes your "afternoon". A couple weeks of that might be enough to help you adapt.
    The other option is to try and take a 12:30 testing date. Sooo much easier on us night owls.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

What would your sleep and wake habits be if you had no obligations?

• akitagogoakitagogo Alum Member
    89 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    One possibility: You'll have to start getting up extra early so that the morning test becomes your "afternoon". A couple weeks of that might be enough to help you adapt.
    The other option is to try and take a 12:30 testing date. Sooo much easier on us night owls.

I haven't thought of this tbh... because the earliest I can do is 7am... I guess probably I just need either a longer time to have a clear mind or better understanding of the questions overall? Thanks for your suggestion. :smile:

89 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    What would your sleep and wake habits be if you had no obligations?

Something like 1am-8:30 or 9am... (It's bad I know.)

5254 karma

Fascinating. So a 3rd shift would be perfect for you?

89 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Fascinating. So a 3rd shift would be perfect for you?

I haven't done any PT in 3rd shift so far, but my mind is usually much clearer starting from the afternoon.

5254 karma

Are there any 12:30 tests that work for your schedule and timeline?

• SuperMario929SuperMario929 Alum Member
    464 karma

I had the same issue. Big night owl, could hit the 170s on PTs but got mid 160s for the morning tests (never took the 12:30 until the July 2019 test for some reason). Taking the 12:30 was a huge help, end-of. You can try to train it, but if your biological clock is working against you, I say delay and take the October test which is at 12:30. For me, it's a 7-8 point difference probably. 100% worth it, even if you have to use a vacation day for it or something.

89 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Are there any 12:30 tests that work for your schedule and timeline?

Yes I just realized that inspired by the comments here. I should probably cancel the morning test I registered and choose an afternoon one. Thanks for your suggestion!

89 karma

@SuperMario929 said:
    I had the same issue. Big night owl, could hit the 170s on PTs but got mid 160s for the morning tests (never took the 12:30 until the July 2019 test for some reason). Taking the 12:30 was a huge help, end-of. You can try to train it, but if your biological clock is working against you, I say delay and take the October test which is at 12:30. For me, it's a 7-8 point difference probably. 100% worth it, even if you have to use a vacation day for it or something.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I've registered for a morning test in Oct... I'm thinking if I should cancel it and do an afternoon test? The difference is that I have to fly over to another country, since no afternoon test is offered in Asia till June. Ummm, or I could just go for the morning test, and if I don't perform well I can register for the next Afternoon test in Nov outside Asia? (Gosh this is a lot of information, sorry about that!)