Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Two Logical Indicators

Andrew AlterioAndrew Alterio Alum Member

Question: in the sentence, "If you’re not greedy, you’re not a business school student" the two different conditional indicators confuse me: if I use "If" then I get /G-->/BS (Or BS-->G); however, if I use "not," then I can come out G-->BS (I negate the BS and make it the NC, and then I'm left with the G which become the SC and also has the SC indicator "If"). So, which one do I choose? I know the first way is correct, but I'm not sure why.
Is it the case that "If" overpowers "not", and "not" is merely a negation and not a logical indicator?

Comments

• Lana KaneLana Kane Alum Member
    176 karma

Is it the case that "If" overpowers "not", and "not" is merely a negation and not a logical indicator?

This is correct, "not" isn't an indicator, merely a negation. "Not both" is one but "not" on its own isn't.

To answer your other question, if there's more than one logical indicator just pick one and ignore the other. I've translated sentences both ways just to test it and never had them come out as different translations before. When I was at that part in the curriculum I always ended up picking the one not picked in the videos but my translation was still correct using the other indicator.