Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Curse: Logical indicators in everyday conversations

nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
in General 7965 karma
I've been cursed by your wizardry, @"J.Y. Ping".

Walking around with my attorney friend yesterday discussing a trial (I'm also her legal assistant), the curse began to take effect:

Words like "unless," "until," "the only," "without": they triggered a response in my mind that went like this: "Negate, make sufficient ... Unless he provides X, we have grounds for Y." This was the case for all logical indicators uttered in conversation. This has continued to be the case today. This is both uncanny (lit. "unheimlich") and amazing.

Anyone else have experience with this ... I'm alarmed to see what was previously such a foreign concept to me suddenly appear as being ingrained as automatic behavior. This is both thrilling and disturbing (but in a way I really like).

Comments

• bSM45LSATbSM45LSAT Member
    522 karma
    OMG I keep doing this and its really a problem.

I was at Subway last night and the guy in front of me said I'll take a Roast Beef sub without pickles, I immediately just thought of negate sufficient.

What is wrong with our lives...
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I was with some buddies last week and someone said "If I don't work out right now, I'll have to work out later tonight." The notA->B popped up right in my head as he said this.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Let's diagram that.
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    Don't forget to write the contrapositive as well!
  • nordeendnordeend Alum Member
    349 karma
    You know you belong in law school when...