Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What if I don't have a GPA?

CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member

I attended an honors liberal arts college where we didn't have a traditional grading system. Instead we had a pass/fail style program. This means that I don't have any kind of GPA. The LSAC guidelines say that my narrative evaluations will not be converted into a GPA and says "Credits for the work in these courses are totaled and reported separately as unconverted credits.".

Given that I am not sure how to evaluate my chances of getting into schools/receiving scholarships since every estimator asks me for a GPA. Anyone have any insight into this? Is there a placeholder GPA I can use? Does it hurt? Help?

My LSAT is 172. I'm would go to NYU if I could get a good scholarship, but I'm looking to do exclusively Public Interest so I don't really need to go to a T-14.

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Did you work closely with some professors who could write letters for you? Also, you might make a point of submitting the optional essays.

• CircleTurkCircleTurk Alum Member
    148 karma

@lsatplaylist I do! Two in fact are going to write some hopefully stellar letters of rec for me! I'm hoping it can compensate for my lack of GPA.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

If your college provides evaluative narratives instead of a GPA, do not try to use a placeholder number. The admissions committee will use just your LSAT for their reporting purposes. If you are interested in public interest, NYU has a number of scholarship opportunities for candidates who want to pursue that area of law: https://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/jdscholarships.