Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mental Stamina: Overcoming Fatigue

LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
edited August 2019 in General 2464 karma

Hello!
Im currently working my way through the CC and have noticed a pattern throughout my studying which i'm assuming is attributed to mental fatigue. From the start of my study day until about the half way point I feel significantly sharp, often not missing a question. From about the half way point towards the end of my day I begin to miss more questions (not because I don't understand a question but rather because I misread a question or don't correctly process the information) and find it harder to focus. I would imagine that this is rather common and is addressed over time? With that being said, does anyone have any suggestions/tips on how to strengthen your mental stamina/endurance?
all feedback is appreciated!

Comments

• ajroks08ajroks08 Alum Member
    51 karma

You can refer to this: https://7sage.com/discussion/#/discussion/8265

Also personally, try to give yourself some breaks in between. Don't do ANYTHING LSAT or PRODUCTIVE for an hour (or more) in my opinion, go for a walk, watch an episode of your favorite show, nap, workout, etc.

In regards to improving your mental stamina, I like to push my self an extra 30 mins each week. For example, Week 1 I spend 3 hours without a break, Week 2 I spend 3 hours AND 30 minutes without a break. But don't overdue it I personally cut myself off at the 4 hour mark, after that I force myself to take break.

With that being said, you are human, and there are limitations to your ability. Overdosing on caffeine and/or forcing yourself to keep studying while not retaining anything won't help you. Realize when you need a break and give it to yourself. Similar to BR, the quality of your studying matters more than the quantity of it.

• kaikdamekaikdame Core Member
    77 karma

You definitely need to take breaks, but figure out what works for you. I like to "reward" myself with 10 minutes of Netflix, playing fetch with my dogs, or going for a walk when I start to feel drained or foggy (even if it's almost every hour some days). I also like the 10% happier app for meditating when I get stressed. Whatever you do, make sure its something not on your computer or LSAT related and give your brain a break. When you get to doing full timed PTs breaks are especially important. I was trying to do them every other day at one point and it was not going well. So, I stopped doing timed tests for two weeks and instead drilled LR Q types, spent about 3-4 hours instead of 6-8 per day, and did occasional timed sections. My scored improved by 9 points on my next PT.

It's a HARD lesson to learn that quality is more important than studying for as long and intensely as possible. I always wanted to push myself, but you have to find your balance.

• LogicianLogician Alum Member Sage
    2464 karma

@ajroks08 @kaidawnm thank you both for the advice! some very useful suggestions that I will definitely begin to implement into my studying routine. Following what you both said, I definitely agree that quality is more important than quantity, but at what point do the diminishing returns (which you get from continuing to study on a given day) create negative returns? how do you guys determine when to call it quits each day. The way I see it, gains in mental stamina/fatigue will come from pushing yourself when you get tired, however if you push too much it has the possibility of having a negative effect (reducing confidence etc). @ajroks08 I like your suggestion of incorporating an extra 30 minutes each week. I guess it differs for everyone, but essentially what i'm asking is at what point do you know when to stop?

• ajroks08ajroks08 Alum Member
    51 karma

@"Road to 99th" said:
    Following what you both said, I definitely agree that quality is more important than quantity, but at what point do the diminishing returns (which you get from continuing to study on a given day) create negative returns? how do you guys determine when to call it quits each day.

Honestly, I wish there was an algorithm to tell me when im overworking but there isn't. To be honest, I set realistic goals that I can get done and try to accomplish them (Thank you 7Sage's schedule). Albeit, I fall behind on schedule sometimes because I may have to re-watch some CC stuff (like right now I'm on grouping games, trying to ace it) or I just wasn't able to study that much a certain day. But regardless, there isn't a surefire method. You just know when you can't do anymore. And by that I mean, that If I study more I will not have the focus nor motivation to complete said task. If you lack interest in the LSAT or just HATE it completely, you won't be able to finish studying for it. That is how I started out, lack of interest and general hate but I'm pretty sure I developed Stockholm's Syndrome because I lowkey enjoy studying now lol.

@"Road to 99th" said:
    @ajroks08 I like your suggestion of incorporating an extra 30 minutes each week. I guess it differs for everyone, but essentially what i'm asking is at what point do you know when to stop?

I read this https://www.quora.com/How-many-hours-should-I-study-without-break

Specifically this comment " One needs timely breaks for more retention of the information while the other can sit for long hours at a stretch for studying. However, how many hours you study at a stretch does not matter, what matters is how much concentration and focus you are able to put in whatever number of hours you study. Besides, ideally i would suggest 3–4 hours.".

Hope that helps, and don't hesitate to DM me, I don't mind having someone to motivate while also being motivating myself at the same time :smile:

Good Luck!