Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

is "some not" the same as "not all?"

MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member

If some are not X, does this category mean 0-99%? The logical opposite of "all" is "not all" which clearly means 0-99%, but does this mean the same thing logically as "some are not?" Thanks!!!

Comments

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

It means the same thing. Logically, 'some people are not smart' and 'not all people are smart' is equivalent. They both mean that at least one person is not smart.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Yes, I was going to say they're the same, too.

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    edited September 2019 401 karma

To reiterate what was already said above, they mean the same thing. However neither means 0-99. "At least one is not" is from 1-100.

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Thanks all for the replies!

@LSATscrub said:
    To reiterate what was already said above, they mean the same thing. However neither means 0-99. "At least one is not" is from 1-100.

Are you sure about this? I read in a different curriculum that "not all" means anything except 100%. This seems to indicate 0-99%.

Again thanks for the response :)

• lulululu Alum Member
    91 karma

@LSATscrub said:

"At least one is not" means "some not". Since some /at least one is 1-100, some not/at least one not is 0-99, because 1 not means 100 - 1=99 (for example, if one dog among 100 dogs is not a german shepherd, that means 99 dogs are german shepherds) 100 not means none/0.

• EveryCookCanGovernEveryCookCanGovern Alum Member
    401 karma

@Demarkee727 Now that I look at it again it depends whether you are looking at it from what "is not" or what "is". If some dogs are not black, 0-99 can be black and 1-100 can be not black, so yea my bad both work depending on how you look at it. This is what @lulu explains above.

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

@LSATscrub said:
    @Demarkee727 Now that I look at it again it depends whether you are looking at it from what "is not" or what "is". If some dogs are not black, 0-99 can be black and 1-100 can be not black, so yea my bad both work depending on how you look at it. This is what @lulu explains above.

Got it that's clear now. Mucho gracias!