Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Political campaign work resume question

Hi there,

I have been working on political campaigns for the past 10 years. I had an early foray into politics and the first three campaigns I worked on were primary races during the summer while I was in high school and college. I currently work in an elected official's administration and managed his re-election campaign last year. I am wondering if I should include the campaign work I did prior to graduating from college on my resume?

Comments

• elias7291elias7291 Alum Member
    269 karma

We’re in similar boats. I was a paid campaign staffer for one election cycle but volunteer in others. All post college. Only putting my paid position.

• nsilvervtnsilvervt Alum Member
    22 karma

Ok. Good to know. All of my campaigns were paid. Would you still only include post college?

• goblue123goblue123 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 231 karma

Hey team, I'd recommend to both of you that you put all of the positions you've had on your resume-- `this isn't a work resume that you MUST trim down to one page. Law schools want to know everything you've done, volunteer or otherwise.

I've been working for a few years and don't explain my college extracurriculars on my work resume, but I went into depth about each one for my law school resume. Tell them your whole story.

• elias7291elias7291 Alum Member
    269 karma

@nsilvervt said:
    Ok. Good to know. All of my campaigns were paid. Would you still only include post college?

All happened after I graduated. Further while I volunteered on several campaigns, none were consistent in the sense that I only volunteered on specific dates such as the week before election or when absentee ballots went out. Thus why I wouldn’t put on my resume except for the paid position.