Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what we're all thinking: picking up the pieces after Sept LSAT

maxsolomonhenrymaxsolomonhenry Free Trial Member
in General 9 karma

Hi all --

Like quite a few of you on here, I was just gutted by the lsat yesterday. I was PTing as high as 169, and hitting a consistent 167 in my last three PT's before the test.

The AR section totally destroyed me. I'm guessing maybe 10 correct, if I'm lucky 14. I've estimated my worst possible scenario (taking into account the predicted -12 curve) at a 157, and best case scenario at a 164. This is complicated by the fact that each time I got a high score on a PT (including the 169), I was convinced that I bombed it.

My biggest issue is that my target school, McGill, averages LSAT scores, and I've been specifically instructed to write once and "make it count." I'm also outrunning an awful GPA from over a decade ago, so I don't have much leverage.

As much as I'd like to hope that LSAC comes out with an unprecedented curve (e.g. -16 or something), I know that this is far from a belief I can rely on. I've been monitoring the forums carefully, and as I suspected, those who had not such a bad time on LG have started to come out of the woodworks and post about it. I simply can't deny the fact that if I were better prepared like they were, I would have made it through that section alive.

So my question is twofold:

(1) It seems like a lot of people are worried about this LG section -- but what are the chances, really, that the curve will reflect this difficulty? I have a hard time believing LSAC will make any special accommodations for us.

(2) I'm almost definitely looking at a cancel and a redo. So should I schedule for the November test? Or will that not be enough time to make a significant improvement? I feel like I could use some time off; I haven't taken a break from studying in over four months. I'm looking to apply next year by September.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Comments

• coryconleycoryconley Alum Member
    32 karma

This isn't super helpful, but I just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. I was knocked out by the LGs yesterday (it was my first section and I stopped myself from walking out only by assuring my brain that it must've been the experimental). I also have a subpar GPA from over a decade ago. I haven't yet decided whether to cancel, but it occurs to me that if many other folks blindsided by the LGs decide to cancel, then presumably the curve won't actually be that generous, because the leftover non-canceled scores would push the average up. (This assumes that canceled scores aren't included in the scaling; I can't see why they would be. It also assumes most test-takers act rationally and have an accurate view of their performance, which is a big assumption.) So maybe it's overthinking, but that's one factor that weighs in favor of canceling. I also plan to sign up for November, and I don't think it's too soon, as long as the difficulty reverts to the mean.

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

I was PTing in the low 170s and was floored by that first LG section yesterday. I had canceled my June score because I felt it would be below168 and wanted to post a 170+.
    I don’t think that happened yesterday. In fact, I’m worried that I scored lower than what June would have been. Of course, since most of us seem to be defeated by the same section, I’m betting on a substantial curve and I feel like my other three sections were very strong. I was really hoping that second LG was the real one though because I would have been certain of a mid-170s score if it were. Uggggg! Just trying to survive the next three weeks until score release.

• tomleary1tomleary1 Free Trial Member
    17 karma

As I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), the sections are curved based on their results as experimental sections, meaning performance on actual test day has no part in making the curve. Maybe they'll make an exception if enough people do really badly on the test, but I think LSAC would commit seppuku before they ever admit to any wrongdoing.

• CharlieHuCharlieHu Alum Member
    edited September 2019 129 karma

@coryconley said:
    This isn't super helpful, but I just wanted to say I'm in the same boat. I was knocked out by the LGs yesterday (it was my first section and I stopped myself from walking out only by assuring my brain that it must've been the experimental). I also have a subpar GPA from over a decade ago. I haven't yet decided whether to cancel, but it occurs to me that if many other folks blindsided by the LGs decide to cancel, then presumably the curve won't actually be that generous, because the leftover non-canceled scores would push the average up. (This assumes that canceled scores aren't included in the scaling; I can't see why they would be. It also assumes most test-takers act rationally and have an accurate view of their performance, which is a big assumption.) So maybe it's overthinking, but that's one factor that weighs in favor of canceling. I also plan to sign up for November, and I don't think it's too soon, as long as the difficulty reverts to the mean.

The numbers of drops simply won't matter. You are not scored based on how you perform among the same month test takers. Each question is pre-calculated for weight/curve based on previous experimental section. LSAC has the curve decided already before we took the test. This is to prevent test takers from trying to figure out which month has the most low-scorers.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I may be an outlier but I found the rest of the test almost "easy". Possibly one of the easiest RCs we've had in years and the LR sections were easy - moderate at best. So my guess is that most people will pick up a handful of points in those three sections that will likely offset the awful LG section a bit. I definitely think my score will suffer nonetheless but maybe we are overreacting slightly? I'm really just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I did very well on RC and LR.

• coryconleycoryconley Alum Member
    32 karma

@CharlieHu said:

@coryconley said:

The numbers of drops simply won't matter. You are not scored based on how you perform among the same month test takers. Each question is pre-calculated for weight/curve based on previous experimental section. LSAC has the curve decided already before we took the test. This is to prevent test takers from trying to figure out which month has the most low-scorers.

Thanks for the info. Ah well, at least I have one less factor to weigh when deciding to drop.

• tina_gktina_gk Alum Member
    125 karma

The round game everyone is talking about, was it similar to game 1 of Lsat 1? I heard lot of people found it hard.

• ConquerLSATboiConquerLSATboi Alum Member
    81 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I may be an outlier but I found the rest of the test almost "easy". Possibly one of the easiest RCs we've had in years and the LR sections were easy - moderate at best. So my guess is that most people will pick up a handful of points in those three sections that will likely offset the awful LG section a bit. I definitely think my score will suffer nonetheless but maybe we are overreacting slightly? I'm really just keeping my fingers crossed and hoping I did very well on RC and LR.

@"Pride Only Hurts" I feel the same way, although I did find the 26 LR section to have a few difficult questions tbh. Do you think you broke 170?

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" I feel the same way, although I did find the 26 LR section to have a few difficult questions tbh. Do you think you broke 170?

Only if I got a little lucky in LG. I’m realistically expecting a mid 160s score. I might’ve done very well in RC which would change everything but for now I’m not getting my hopes up for anything beyond -4 in RC. The wait is killing me.

• RealLaw612RealLaw612 Member
    1094 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:

Only if I got a little lucky in LG. I’m realistically expecting a mid 160s score. I might’ve done very well in RC which would change everything but for now I’m not getting my hopes up for anything beyond -4 in RC. The wait is killing me.

We are 100% in the situation. If I had to bet on my score I’d say mid-to-high 160s is likely. If I get lower or higher I’ll be stunned. Come on LSAC and give us a -14 curve!!!

• kaikdamekaikdame Core Member
    77 karma

I didn't take September, but I'm sure that if you're capable of a 169, then you probably did well on the RC & LR. Like others mentioned, this may balance out the LG more than you think.

If you're even considering November, there's not that many weird games out there and you could practice overall difficult sections. I definitely think it's possible to do them all before the test and at least be comfortable with the curveballs. You could still work on the other sections too and apply with a score that you're happy with. I'm sure there's a lot of other factors that you have to consider too, but at least you have the option to retake.

Here's some helpful links for LG if you do decide on November:

Difficult LG sections:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/71zteo/hardest_most_difficult_lsat_sections_ever_listed/

Rare/Weird games:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/90ijy0/comprehensive_list_of_rarely_tested_logic_games/

Individual hard games:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/LSAT/comments/d7ww18/pls_help_me_make_a_list_of_hard_af_lg_games_for/

• maxsolomonhenrymaxsolomonhenry Free Trial Member
    9 karma

Thanks everyone for the insightful comments. I did end up cancelling in the end -- maybe I choked, it's always possible I did better than I thought.

Looking to get a tutor for the next one -- or at least browse the 7sage core curriculum.

Good luck everyone.