Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New LSAC Licensing Policy Effective [now] April 21st

Comments

• brna0714brna0714 Alum Inactive ⭐
    1489 karma
    @Katie4522 Download them onto your computer and then print at your leisure.
  • jdawg113jdawg113 Alum Inactive ⭐
    edited April 2015 2654 karma
    yeah @Katie4522 make sure to go through and download and save into a folder of sorts b4 Aprile 21st otherwise you will be in a tricky situation. If you download everything now you should be fine with being able to print them as often as you like and should still have access to the explations(not PDF's so would imagine they'll stay)

@"J.Y. Ping" @"Alan Cheuk" possible fire-sale on newer PT's before removal? :D lol
  • rblackshearrblackshear Alum Member
    104 karma
    we still have not been explicitly informed that the explanations will remain.
  • fifthendingfifthending Alum Member
    154 karma
    Will things like this still remain http://7sage.com/lesson/quiz-on-complex-conditional-translations-to-lawgic/ ? I don't think they're official lsat questions...?
  • efseeflowersefseeflowers Member
    9 karma
    Will the video explanations of PrepTests remain up?
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I want to know about the video explanations as well. @fifthending I think they will remain up because I agree. I don't think they are official LSAT questions. However, I saved all the PDFs for them to be safe.
  • L.SchwartzL.Schwartz Alum Member
    34 karma
    An explanation of exactly what is going to be taken down would really be helpful!!
    34 karma
    Or even if you could compile a zip file with all of the content to be taken down from each course and provide a download link for us..... Would be really helpful and easy for everyone!
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    LSAC strikes once again. Seems ultra greedy to me. They're already making a fortune from the LSAT and now they want to ensure they make more. I wonder who advises them...because this will surely backfire.
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    I knew I should have voted for Mitt Romney.
  • nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    It seems that LSAC's new policy primarily (perhaps exclusively) affects PDF's specifically. My hopeful understanding is that non-PDF content will be ok. @"Dillon A. Wright" @"J.Y. Ping" See how much we love 7sage and are dismayed at the thought of losing the awesome explanations!

Kudos to the admins for keeping heads up and steering the community through this change. Grateful for you guys.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins That is exactly it. LSAC changes policy banning PDF downloads: eh, ok I'll bounce back from this. The potential for 7Sage's explanations to be affected by the change: OMG My life is over!
    7965 karma
    @VegMeg55 Yes, I know the feeling! I refuse to entertain the notion until it's stated outright—too much torture as a hypothetical.
  • VegMeg55VegMeg55 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    587 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Good idea... Out of sight, out of mind. Wait, how do I not think about 7Sage when studying from 7Sage?! I'll be watching a Parallel Flaw Question Explanation like "J.Y. please don't leave me! I NEED YOU."
  • The 180 Bro_OVOThe 180 Bro_OVO Alum Inactive ⭐
    1392 karma
    But in all seriousness. Will this pdf ban affect the video explanations that come with the prep tests?
  • Matt1234567Matt1234567 Inactive ⭐
    1294 karma
    @"The 180 Bro" I don't believe so. I read on another site (LSAT Blog) that the explanations themselves are safe. I think the main issue here is the PDF files.
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    @L.Schwartz ahhhhhh... a zip file would be nice
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
    As far as I know, this is NOT affecting the video explanations. Only the ability to download PDFs (as there will be none!)
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    THANKS OBAMA
  • inactiveinactive Alum Member
    12637 karma
  • rblackshearrblackshear Alum Member
    104 karma
    A troubling although possibly incorrect inference: the LG videos that are free and open to the public have no written lsat content in them. The explanations within the paid course do. Follow?
    2654 karma
    @rblackshear well those are more facts... but the issue is PDF's that you can reprint and such. You can't do that with video's as well... they are videos
    7965 karma
    Word to @jdawg113 -- apples and oranges!
  • texcellencetexcellence Alum Member
    30 karma
    A zip file of all downloadable content would be massively appreciated.
    34 karma
    @michellesilva.tx I agree... I assume they are taking their time going through everything and figuring out what needs to be removed from the site. They should just move all of that content into a zip file and let us know where to download it. There would be no more panic among the members that have already paid for the content and everyone is happy...
  • dantab26dantab26 Alum Member
    60 karma
    Would there be anyone you guys could save us the hassle and compile all of the PDFs in a Zip file for all of us to download?
    2654 karma
    well no user could do it really because no one would know who actually has access to said material. And if 7sage did it they would have to make separate ones for the different packages (unless they just did the sets and left PTs for users to download themselves)
  • Alan Cheuk-2Alan Cheuk-2 Administrator
    edited April 2015 3075 karma
    Thanks for the support everyone! It's too hard to make a big zip of PDFs because all the PDFs need to be individually watermarked and tracked for LSAC, sorry :(

As an alternative, we made a page where you can see the PDFs you have access to and will disappear on the 21st, so that you can download all the ones you need in one place :)

http://7sage.com/download-pdfs/

It's fresh off the press, so if you find any problems with it, please let us know!

[Edit: I took down the link temporarily because of complications with our LSAT question usage, but it's back up again now and should cover all the right PDFs]
  • 35 karma
    So just to clarify - All I should download are the pdf's of the actual tests? Are there any explanation pdf's that I should be concerned about as well?
    3075 karma
    @"I-Scored-A-181" You should be able to see all the PDFs you have access to now that will disappear on April 21st here:

http://7sage.com/download-pdfs/

If you want to use any of these PDFs after April 21st, please download them, and save them to a safe place (like Dropbox) so you don't accidentally delete or lose them.
    2654 karma
    Missing PT72... would enjoy a sale of sorts... just saying :P okay, that's my last mention of it
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    938 karma
    Yes! I'm not sure I will be able to afford the tests before April 21st (on a tight budget) :/.. I'm missing two of them :/
    7965 karma
    Thank you, @"Alan Cheuk" —this is MOST helpful!
    3462 karma
    I agree with @jdawg113 :) haha
    3462 karma
  • Edit SzantoEdit Szanto Alum Member
    28 karma
    If PDFs are all removed, how will that affect us when we try to go through lessons? Is there a way to include file names with the English titles so we can easily search for the exact file? This is really bad timing for those of us who are preparing for the June exam. Is LSAC's issue only with the PDF format? Can 7Sage change the format to something else and maintain the usability and usefulness of the course?
  • ValBerroaValBerroa Alum Member
    edited April 2015 77 karma
    This is too stressing.
  • LegalE_07LegalE_07 Alum Member
    36 karma
    Hello, I am having difficulty with the PDFs and I am not able to save them. I attempted to save it to my comp and was unsuccessful, I just purchased a new usb to save them to and still no success. Please Help!
  • Nilesh SNilesh S Alum Inactive ⭐
    3438 karma
    Maybe its an issue with your comp... if you have a university or work computer, try saving them there...
  • LegalE_07LegalE_07 Alum Member
    36 karma
    Thanks!
  • stepharizonastepharizona Alum Member
    3197 karma
    I still think a fire sale on PDFs would be a fantastic idea! @"J.Y. Ping" @"Dillon A. Wright"
  • 42 karma
    @ JY, kick their butt JY! They need to be aware they are acting illogically!
  • DumbHollywoodActorDumbHollywoodActor Alum Inactive ⭐
    7468 karma
    People. I love a good deal as much as the next guy, but It's not the PDF that costs 7Sage all that much money. The cost is the hours of effort that JY and Co. put into creating that explanation video, not to mention all the other bells and whistles that come with this platform. I think it's amazing that the sell it so cheaply at the outset. Let's not forget that this is still a business, albeit an altruistic one.
  • shine.on.meshine.on.me Alum Member
    463 karma
    I agree that a flash sale would be a good idea even though I have all the PTs. But I also agree 7Sage is great :-) My question is about moving forward. I agree that the LSAC's decision will have the opposite effect than they think it will and the decison to ban PDFs won't stand. I'm concerned about the meantime. I know they can't sell the PDFs anymore and seem to be rerouting people to Amazon. But will the video explanations continue to be sold as we move forward to the eventual release of PT 75, 76, 77, etc?
    7965 karma
    @shine.on.me that's a great question. LSAC has only changed their policies related to PDF's—and they still would allow PDF's with certain security enhancements. Since it's the licensing of LSAC content that makes up much of the cost of videos/explanations for individual PT's (the ability to show/cover real LSAT questions word for word), I would anticipate that 7sage will continue to provide these products/services for future PT's and at similar (if not identical) cost. Just my 2¢ based on understanding of licensing changes generally.
  • J.Y. PingJ.Y. Ping Administrator Instructor
    edited April 2015 14039 karma
    I sincerely thank all of you for your support. The uncertainty with LSAC has been really stressful for Alan and me because what you see here on 7Sage is basically our lives for the past few years. Your support means so much to us.

To clarify LSAC's position, they're not banning PDFs per se. They're placing encumbrances on the delivery of PDFs so severe that they amount to a ban. Indeed, some of these encumbrances are technically impossible to enact. I can talk more about the technical details (or really Alan can) but the upshot is that as users, neither of us would want to install the DRM software LSAC suggested because (1) they are intrusive, (2) buggy, and (3) they do not actually enact all the restrictions that LSAC has laid out.

Here's just one ridiculous scenario that would occur if we implemented the DRM for PDFs. LSAC require that we limit printing to one copy. Okay, sounds fine. Until you look closely at what that would entail. Let's assume that the DRM functions 100% all the time. Okay, but what happens when say you print a PT and get a paper jam, or run out of paper, or your toner was low so everything came out light grey or streaky, or you hit print but the printer wasn't plugged into your computer so you need to send the print job again, or what if you just want to print more than one copy? These are all things that in fact happen all the time. But if we implemented the DRM, you'd just be out of luck. How's that fair or even realistic? Like if I actually wanted to troll you and was thinking up ideas of how I'd do it, that would be a top contender.

On balance, we decided that you guys are tech savvy and it's trivially easy to get PTs elsewhere. And as for the future, so many of you have pointed out already that the PDFs, while a convenience, do not represent the value you get with 7Sage. That's true. The PDFs of the PTs are largely a commodity. Like any other commodity, they're the same no matter where you get them. (I do want to say that we did put a lot of effort in making our PTs cleaner than any other you could find and we even laid out the LG sections from all the older PTs to conform to the new two page spread but oh well.) The point is that the value of 7Sage lies in our Core Curriculum, our Fool Proof / Memory Method / Blind Review methodologies, our video explanations for thousands of LSAT questions, our robust Analytics, and most importantly, you, 7Sagers, our community. You guys created something really Good with this discussion forum and comments beneath each lesson. These are our core values that 7Sage offers and these are here to stay.

So, please don't worry. This PDF ban, while a pain in the butt, is not going to change much.
    edited April 2015 3075 karma
    @jdawg113 said:
    possible fire-sale on newer PT's before removal? :D lol
    @stepharizona said:
    a fire sale on PDFs would be a fantastic idea!
    Psst... Only until April 21st, PrepTests with full explanations are temporarily discounted here: https://7sage.com/addons/

Of course, make sure to download the PDF immediately because the PDFs will be taken down on April 21st (very soon!).

[edited for clarity]
    2654 karma
    @"Alan Cheuk" said:
    Psst... Last minute discount on PrepTests before the PDF takedown, which is happening very soon, on the 21st: https://7sage.com/addons/

:)<3 I knew holding out was the right move :P Thanks ton guys
  • mpits001mpits001 Alum Member
    edited April 2015 938 karma
    @"Alan Cheuk" said:
    Psst... Last minute discount on PrepTests before the PDF takedown, which is happening very soon, on the 21st: https://7sage.com/addons/

Of course, make sure to download the PDF immediately.
    Okay this is totally awesome, and I'm so happy I was patient to wait for it (still spending money on applying to back-up law schools if June doesn't work out). Anyway, so it's ON the 21st? Since I know that's cutting it close, is there a specific time? I live in FL, so should I stay up till midnight? Or is it midnight "21st" from the Pacific time zone? I don't want to miss this :(!
    7965 karma
    @"Alan Cheuk" WOO HOO!!!!
This discussion has been closed.